Is putting a GT1030 or another buget GPU in an old PC worth it?

Apr 21, 2018
Hey! So, my laptop has pretty much broke. It still works but if I try anything intensive it just locks up. But that is not the matter. The thing is... I don't have much of a budget. But I do have an old PC with the following specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+

4GB DDR2 Ram

The Gpu it currently has is a GeForce 6100 nForce 405, which... can't really do anything. So I am thinking if it is worth investing into getting this PC more up to date, by getting a new GPU, harddrive additional RAM and that kind of stuff. It seems to work perfectly fine for browsing, currently writing this post on it! I dont know much about PC's tho so that's why I am comming here! Is the cpu alright? Or is it just better to save up for a more expencive computer.

There aren't any used budget parts where I live so that is not an option, I have to buy brand new stuff. Give your opinion on this matter, it would help me out a ton!!!

Thank you for reading!!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, that's an oldie. But if it's all you have, then it is always worth it to improve it. Depending on the motherboard, you might find a quad core to improve your CPU performance. And if you want to do some gaming on it, a new GPU is mandatory. Let me know the motherboard make/model and the PSU that you have.