Question Is Radeon rx 6800 a good replacement for a RTX 3070 mining card?

MutualBenefits

Reputable
Dec 31, 2019
So, a few months ago I made a terrible mistake in purchasing a cheap RTX 3070 from a craigslist seller for $250. He showed me the card in the box in person and it looked ok, showed me video before we met to do the deal showing it worked. Once I got home and held it in hand the shroud fell off, screws missing and damaged fans making me realize I brought a mining card. I got screwed, so I decided to use it until I was able to get a new card today. The problem I’m having with the broken 3070 is gpu voltage at 668w, one fan works and seems to overheat when I run games.

Decided to purchase a new XFX Radeon rx 6800 new from amazon due to 16GB vram for digital art / animation / light gaming. I know nvidia for art is better deal though I don’t have $800 - $900 for a new RTX 3090 (need alot of vram now). An I realize the 668w showing in Asus Tweak for my RTX 3070 is due to the card being damaged and might be reason why light bill went up..

Current Workstation Build
Ryzen 9 5950x
Asus Tuff gaming wi-fi pro 2
Asus Strix RTX 3070 (Was scammed into purchasing this mining card)
96GB DDR4 ram
1TB & 512GB SSD
8TB Hard Drive
1200w corsair psu

Lutfij

Titan
In reality, anything you buy that's lower than that RTX3070 you currently own as a replacement, is a step above.

The seller didn't approach you into buying it. You approached seller after looking for an used card. You fell into that trap yourself, sadly.

MutualBenefits

Reputable
Dec 31, 2019
In reality, anything you buy that's lower than that RTX3070 you currently own as a replacement, is a step above.

The seller didn't approach you into buying it. You approached seller after looking for an used card. You fell into that trap yourself, sadly.

What do you mean buy that? I could have bought a replacement RTX 3070 from Amazon for the same price, though I require vast vram for art projects I'll be working on as a side hustle.

And I’m right due to the card be mined on or tampered with by pervious owner is reason why its at a constant 668w gpu voltage even if I’m now gaming. Tried to play Soulstice, steel rising, gun grave gore and other recently released titles, once I start the game the one working fan speeds up then I lose signal.

Lutfij

Titan
A card that was used for mining will not be the same as a used card that was taken care of and wasn't used for mining. Meaning if you bought a brand new RTX3060Ti or their of, it would be miles better than the RTX3070 you got that is dodgy. You're assuming it was mined, I'd assume so but what I'm getting at is, why did you bother with an used card? If what you do pays for a roof over your head and food on the table, then you invest in reliable parts not used, sketchy or doubtful hardware.

The card's cooler mounting might be a point of concern, considering you stated this;
held it in hand the shroud fell off, screws missing and damaged fans