[SOLVED] Is Radeon VII worth it right now?

Leonman44

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Hello folks, as the title says is radeon VII worth it right now or its better to get a 2080 super for extra 150-200 euros?

I will be gaming at 1080p 165hz but i am planning to upgrade to 3440x1440p 120-200hz later this year.

Lastly will the extra vram be more beneficial in the future?

Solution
IMO, the Radeon VII GPU wasn't a very worthy contender. The inclusion of 4 existing HBM2 memory stacks actually made this card to be priced in a higher bracket as well, when compared to the Vega 64 and similar cards.

This R7 wasn't meant to be an actual gaming card to begin with, because AMD had plans to target the compute/HPC segment as well. Because this card began life as a professional GPU intended for scientific computing and AI/ML workloads. They didn't have much choice either, so they just made some changes to the existing GCN architecture on a refined process Node though, giving us this R7 GPU.

It looks like AMD really wanted to compete with NVidia's RTX 2080, but didn't have much choice apart from...
IMO, the Radeon VII GPU wasn't a very worthy contender. The inclusion of 4 existing HBM2 memory stacks actually made this card to be priced in a higher bracket as well, when compared to the Vega 64 and similar cards.

This R7 wasn't meant to be an actual gaming card to begin with, because AMD had plans to target the compute/HPC segment as well. Because this card began life as a professional GPU intended for scientific computing and AI/ML workloads. They didn't have much choice either, so they just made some changes to the existing GCN architecture on a refined process Node though, giving us this R7 GPU.

It looks like AMD really wanted to compete with NVidia's RTX 2080, but didn't have much choice apart from re-branding and releasing a cut-down variant of their current MI50 Instinct compute card.

This is also evident from the FP64 performance of this R7 GPU, which sits around 3.5 TFLOPs). Actually, AMD had a change of heart, deciding that their Radeon VII users deserved a little more FP64 performance from their new gaming flagship, making the GPU more appealing to professional users as well, while maintaining the performance advantages of their Radeon Instinct lineup.

But for gaming FP64 is irrelevant though. ANYWAYS, Just get any of the RTX SUPER GPUs (2070/2080).

Last edited:
Solution
Hello folks, as the title says is radeon VII worth it right now or its better to get a 2080 super for extra 150-200 euros?

I will be gaming at 1080p 165hz but i am planning to upgrade to 3440x1440p 120-200hz later this year.

Lastly will the extra vram be more beneficial in the future?

Unless you are doing video edits, or complex cad work, or 3d rendering, I would say it's not worth it.

If you want to buy something within 3 months, I would say 2080 super.

However rumor mill says in about 3 months, we'll see the 5800XT which has full 64 Compute Units which would stick it in 2080 ti territory. If this is truly the case, AMD might present a compelling alternative to the 2080 ti/super, for less money.

Leonman44

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Thanks for the Answers guys, will wait a few days for a nice 2080 super card because in Europe there's no stock yet. It was just that this 200 euros price difference were important to me but i need to go big this time.

I already sold my 980ti so waiting too much isn't a luxury too...

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Leonman44

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Indeed a good idea, the truth is that i overclock up to the limit no matter what for that extra performance but theres always a possibility to get a lemon so i cant rely on that.

Does the most 2080 supers overclock as good as 2070 supers?

Leonman44

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Just out of curiosity, what are your FULL PC specs ? Which GPU are you currently using ? I think all the SUPER models overclock pretty much fine.

Sure:

CPU: i5 8600k 5ghz oc
Motherboard: Asus Z370 Prime
Graphics: "980TI XTREME WINDFORCE (custom bios 1560/8000)" SOLD
RAM: RIPJAWS IV 2400MHZ 16GB (2666 oc)
Cooling: Phobya 360lt kit for Cpu only
PSU: Corsair RM850i
CASE: Corsair 780t
Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Rapidfire
Mouse: G502 Hero

My 980ti at that heavy oc could match a 1080 ref , so i would like a +50% performance on top of that to call it a day.

My monitor was the Aw3418dw but died in a terrible accident thats why i am going to stick with a cheap but incredibly fast VG258QR until i save for a x35/PG35VQ , of course that will happen at December the fastest.

I really need to get my rig up and running as soon as possible.

Depends how long you want to keep it I guess. You can save on monitors too as you don't need to get Gysnc. VII is also much better for compute

You just reminded me that nvidia got freesync support but not the other way around , so thats +1 again for nvidia also i dont think that computing power is that important to me , i only watch movies , browse and game in my rig.

Sure:

My 980ti at that heavy oc could match a 1080 ref , so i would like a +50% performance on top of that to call it a day.

My monitor was the Aw3418dw but died in a terrible accident thats why i am going to stick with a cheap but incredibly fast VG258QR until i save for a x35/PG35VQ , of course that will happen at December the fastest.

I really need to get my rig up and running as soon as possible.

You just reminded me that nvidia got freesync support but not the other way around , so thats +1 again for nvidia also i dont think that computing power is that important to me , i only watch movies , browse and game in my rig.
It has FreeSync “support” only a few monitors are guaranteed to work and they gimped the rest.

Leonman44

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
It has FreeSync “support” only a few monitors are guaranteed to work and they gimped the rest.

Thats only for the older monitors but still most of them successfully work just not flawlessly.

All the newer panels are certificated as "gsync compatible" and i dont really buy older stuff so i wont have an issue here as the vg258qr is also certificated.

Great specs m8 !

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Sort of. The lack of the other way around isn't really a knock on AMD. GSync cost extra. Generally something on the order of $200-ish if I recall. Monitor makers had to pay Nvidia for the technology, and that got passed on to the consumers.

The "Nvidia tax" if you will.

Baumber

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Best value gpu is the 5700 xt. Runs faster than the rtx 2070 and is very close to the 2070 super for ~$120 less. Plus, it will only get better over time as the drivers mature of the new RDNA architecture.

Though, if you can justify $120 for 5-10 more fps, then the 2070 super will be a good gpu too.

Leonman44

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
What GAMES are they Giving ? I bet it might be one the RAY Tracing titles, like the upcoming Remedy's CONTROL, and/or Wolfenstein: Youngblood and few other games I suppose ?

Thats 100% right , they are giving both of them!

Sort of. The lack of the other way around isn't really a knock on AMD. GSync cost extra. Generally something on the order of $200-ish if I recall. Monitor makers had to pay Nvidia for the technology, and that got passed on to the consumers.

The "Nvidia tax" if you will.

It is because right now if you want a 3440x1440 200hz Va quantom dots and Hdr1000 panel theres none freesync.
I guess they are going to make one sometime but they are 1 footstep behind every time.

Nvidia will remain the No1 on the very highest end and because of that we will keep paying a lot money for their premium products , if Amd could compete with them it would be great for us (the consumers) .

Best value gpu is the 5700 xt. Runs faster than the rtx 2070 and is very close to the 2070 super for ~$120 less. Plus, it will only get better over time as the drivers mature of the new RDNA architecture.

Though, if you can justify $120 for 5-10 more fps, then the 2070 super will be a good gpu too.

I know that its the most vfm card right now and would definitely would go for it if it was my first card but its not that an upgrade from my previous hardware.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It is because right now if you want a 3440x1440 200hz Va quantom dots and Hdr1000 panel theres none freesync.
I guess they are going to make one sometime but they are 1 footstep behind every time.

Wait, so, not having a FreeSync monitor of that particular type, resolution, and quantum dots is a disadvantage? For who?

What video card can even manage modern games at maxed out details (I'm assuming quality is important if one is going with quantum dots) at that resolution and 200fps?

That's a contrived need.