[SOLVED] Is ram compatibility still an issue with 3rd gen ryzen?

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Hello guys. I will buy a 3600 next week, with a b450 tomahawk and I was wondering if I should pick a ram model from the qvl or go and buy the one I like the most. So is ram compatibility a problem or I can buy whichever ram model I want? Thanks in advance.

Solution
I haven't done the data dive that I do before composing a hardware build, as I'm letting things stabilize for a year or so before I go in that direction.

However, if it's not on the QVL, all that means is that it hasn't been tested and verified to function properly in a particular configuration.

The absence from the QVL, on its own, does not mean that it will not work in your application--it just means that it's your risk to try it, and you should anticipate that it will not, and have a "Plan-B" in place ahead of time.
If you want to prevent wasted money, wasted time, and unnecessary aggravation, it would be wise to take the MB QVL for memory, and the memory manufacturers compatibility list, and make your selection accordingly.

If, on the other hand, you just want to blindly pick what you want, be prepared for things to go "un-smoothly".

[EDIT]
Another dimension to the going with a 3600 is that the sub-570 chipsets are really not designed for the task. (Yes, I know accommodations have been made in BIOS code, but these are sub-optimal, at best.) You would be far better-off going with a 570 motherboard, particularly if the MB is a new purchase.

Last edited:

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
If you want to prevent wasted money, wasted time, and unnecessary aggravation, it would be wise to take the MB QVL for memory, and the memory manufacturers compatibility list, and make your selection accordingly.

If, on the other hand, you just want to blindly pick what you want, be prepared for things to go "un-smoothly".
All right I'll pick a ram model from the qvl list. However will the CMW16GX4M2C3000C15 work? I don't see it in the qvl list.

I haven't done the data dive that I do before composing a hardware build, as I'm letting things stabilize for a year or so before I go in that direction.

However, if it's not on the QVL, all that means is that it hasn't been tested and verified to function properly in a particular configuration.

The absence from the QVL, on its own, does not mean that it will not work in your application--it just means that it's your risk to try it, and you should anticipate that it will not, and have a "Plan-B" in place ahead of time.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS