Is ram different when bought in a 2 pack or more?

RussianGiraffe13

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014
im planning a gaming pc and because i dont have an unlimited budget i plan to use 4gb of ram until i can upgrade to 8gb and maybe even 12gb or 16gb

What i thought dual channel meant was 2 identical sticks or ram working "together" sharing memory to make processing a bit faster (10%-15%?)

for instance if i bought this 4gb stick of ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231718&cm_re=g_skill_ram-_-20-231-718-_-Product

could i just buy another stick of this exact ram and make it dual channel or not?

apposed to this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428&cm_re=g_skill_ram-_-20-231-428-_-Product

all the specs are the same but i have noticed a different model number.

also if i wanted to upgrade it to 16gb and i bought the 2x4gb pack. could i buy the same pack or do i have to replace the whole thing with a 4x4gb kit to get 16gb in quad chanel?

Solution
ANY TIME you mix DRAM - even identical model sticks it can be and often is problematic....the forums are full of people 'adding' more DRAM (often the same exact kind and model #) and having problems. When you buy DRAM in a set, all the sticks in the package have been tested to work together....

Sandstorm3000

Honorable

Since those are identical sticks they will work as dual channel and yes it will show up as 8GB of RAM.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
ANY TIME you mix DRAM - even identical model sticks it can be and often is problematic....the forums are full of people 'adding' more DRAM (often the same exact kind and model #) and having problems. When you buy DRAM in a set, all the sticks in the package have been tested to work together....

Solution

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
No worries, have basically spent the last couple of days working to help folks who have mixed sets (happens every holiday season) and just problem after problem...People don't understand there is high density DDR3, low density, dual rank, single rank, XMp, PnP, voltage variables, different memory chips from different manufacturers, etc, etc, etc

TRENDING THREADS