[SOLVED] Is RAM stress Test compulsory?

May 4, 2021
Hey All,

Today I installed a new kit in my system (ryzen 3600 paired up with B450 Tomahawk Max) after booting my system I got a message saying "New memory detected. Press F1 for setup or clear CMOS. I ran setup and enabled XMP and hit save settings reboot. After the reboot I checked my task manager it correctly shows 3600mhz frequency. My question is, do I need to run any stress test to make sure its stable? Till now I did not get any crashing issues though.

Solution
i wouldn't run any tests unless you get errors. If it works, why mess with it. I never tested my ram besides having it run in xmp for last 7 months with no errors :)
May 4, 2021
i wouldn't run any tests unless you get errors. If it works, why mess with it. I never tested my ram besides having it run in xmp for last 7 months with no errors :)

Thanks! I wanted to confirm because few people said run memtest86 and I know it takes 4-8 hours for that process. What are your opinions on my kit timings? They are 16-19-19-39.

May 4, 2021
timings aren't bad, im on 3200 with 16/18/18/36, yours aren't bad for speed difference.

i would only run memtest if you manually oc ram, but if its xmp it should be fine.

Makes sense. I have one more question to ask if you don't mind? So earlier I had this kit (I made a mistake by not buying two sticks) learned my lesson here. Should I use that stick in my system? Will it effect my current 3600mhz speed?

Colif

Win 11 Master
mixing sticks can lead to errors. advantage of 2 sticks sold in set is they pretty much guaranteed to work with each other, but adding another stick in that isn't the same can cause BSOD and instability. Better off just running without for a while, see if the 2 sticks you have are okay, and then you can try the other stick but if you get weirdness, I would remove and use just 2.

wow, brands site makes noises, made me jump

May 4, 2021
mixing sticks can lead to errors. advantage of 2 sticks sold in set is they pretty much guaranteed to work with each other, but adding another stick in that isn't the same can cause BSOD and instability. Better off just running without for a while, see if the 2 sticks you have are okay, and then you can try the other stick but if you get weirdness, I would remove and use just 2.

wow, brands site makes noises, made me jump

Yeah I thought so. I guess I should just stick with current configuration then?

Most of the time, ram works just fine.
But, why not run memtest at least for the few minutes to cover the full address range with one of the patterns?
In the past, on one system, I had no problem with ram, but some apps would strangely fail.
Ram memtest and it showed an error at a high ram address that would not be normally used.

May 4, 2021
Most of the time, ram works just fine.
But, why not run memtest at least for the few minutes to cover the full address range with one of the patterns?
In the past, on one system, I had no problem with ram, but some apps would strangely fail.
Ram memtest and it showed an error at a high ram address that would not be normally used.

Thanks for your feedback! Is it possible that few applications can run into an issues with these speed?

kanewolf

Titan
I am just the OPPOSITE. If I create a build or swap RAM, I prefer to run MEMTEST86 for 1/2 a day. That ensures that I don't waste a bunch of time later on. I can wait a few hours to play with new toys...
If you have ever been bitten by defective RAM, you decide to spend the few hours.