[SOLVED] Is Ray Tracing worth it?

Fusion1005

Commendable
Jan 15, 2020
So I'm debating between the RTX 2060 SUPER and the RX 5700XT as my GPU for my new PC. From what I've seen online, the 5700XT gives you better frames. However, the 2060 SUPER does have Ray Tracing, but I know it isn't that big of a thing as of now. That being said, does the Ray Tracing on the 2060 SUPER and whatever potential it has to expand across more games make up for the better frames on the 5700XT?

Note: My monitor I'm planning to get supports both G-Sync and Freesync 2, so that isn't a deciding factor.

Solution
Enabling RTX almost halfs your fps. I dont personally think 2060S is worth it, if you really want the ray tracing eye candy you should just save up and get 2080 and up to get an actual good experience.

But of course, if you dont mind playing at 45-80fps (RayTracing enabled) you should go for 2060S if you can handle lower framerates without it bothering your gaming experience.
Also the drivers are much more stable on Nvidias side.

I would go with RX 5700 XT if you can handle the possible issues with the drivers and dont really care about raytracing since the 5700xt offers a little more firepower than the 2060S
Unfortunately thats something youll have to decide on your own.
Personally, given a sufficient enough framerate to not bother me (IE above 45), I would prefer quality over FPS. So anything that makes a game look better is more important to me than "x" amount of performance.

hutchl

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
That's subjective and depends on your game style. For me I play competitive shooters so raw 144 FPS was my goal so I bought a RX 5700 XT. But if you play mostly for fun or just want the prettiest experience then RTX is definitely worth it for that. Just be aware when you buy the RTX 2060S you are buying the slower card. On the flip side though the RTX card might be a more hassle free experience. Because AMD drivers sometimes require some trial and error to get them running right. Now not every AMD user experiences that, I had a flawless experience. But its just something to keep in mind.

Last edited:

Fusion1005

Commendable
Jan 15, 2020
That's subjective and depends on your game style. For me I play competitive shooters so raw 144 FPS was my goal so I bought a RX 5700 XT. But if you play mostly for fun or just want the prettiest experience then RTX is definitely worth it for that. Just be aware when you buy the RTX 2060S you are buying the slower card. On the flip side though the RTX card might be a more hassle free experience. Because AMD drivers sometimes require some trial and error to get them running right. Now not every AMD user experiences that, I had a flawless experience. But its just something to keep in mind.

How much slower is the 2060S compared to the 5700XT?

Enabling RTX almost halfs your fps. I dont personally think 2060S is worth it, if you really want the ray tracing eye candy you should just save up and get 2080 and up to get an actual good experience.

But of course, if you dont mind playing at 45-80fps (RayTracing enabled) you should go for 2060S if you can handle lower framerates without it bothering your gaming experience.

I would go with RX 5700 XT if you can handle the possible issues with the drivers and dont really care about raytracing since the 5700xt offers a little more firepower than the 2060S

Last edited:
Solution

Fusion1005

Commendable
Jan 15, 2020

The driver issues can be solved right?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
If you are playing in 1080p, you will get pretty good ray tracing results with the RTX 2060 or 2060 super. But for 1440p those cards do not perform that good with ray tracing. I personally think ray tracing is worth it, but I am very much interested in the technology. Ray tracing is the future....anyone denying that is totally wrong. The next gen consoles (PS5 and Xbox X series) will both support hardware raytracing based on AMD navi2. With the upcoming Big Navi and RDNA2 (navi2), AMD will also support Ray Tracing. So, Ray Tracing will become pretty much standard within the next couple of years. I think Cyberpunk 2077 will be a big driver. This game will use ray tracing and with its futuristic city setup with all the neon lighting etc, this will be a Ray Tracing game changer, especially with reflections (which is the most noticeable effect).

I think it is still a nice to have. But since it will become standard soon, I personally would stay away from cards without Ray Tracing support.

Last edited:

Fusion1005

Commendable
Jan 15, 2020
If you are playing in 1080p, you will get pretty good ray tracing results with the RTX 2060 or 2060 super. But for 1440p those cards do not perform that good with ray tracing. I personally think ray tracing is worth it, but I am very much interested in the technology. Ray tracing is the future....anyone denying that is totally wrong. The next gen consoles (PS5 and Xbox X series) will both support hardware raytracing based on AMD navi2. With the upcoming Big Navi and RDNA2 (navi2), AMD will also support Ray Tracing. So, Ray Tracing will become pretty much standard within the next couple of years. I think Cyberpunk 2077 will be a big driver. This game will use ray tracing and with its futuristic city setup with all the neon lighting etc, this will be a Ray Tracing game changer, especially with reflections (which is the most noticeable effect).

I think it is still a nice to have. But since it will become standard soon, I personally would stay away from cards without Ray Tracing support.
I have a 2070S.

For the price difference right now between AMD and Nvidia, no Ray Tracing is not worth it.

Welp, now I'm stuck lol. Let me put it this way, is there a NOTICEABLE difference in the frames between the 5700XT and the 2060S?

btw: I am planning to game in 1440p.

Ray tracing is beautiful. But the horse power to actually do it isn't sufficiently there even for the top end RTX cards. Therefore for this generation it's mostly a gimmick with limited use and severe performance penalties. In some cases, a 4K 60fps game would have to be downscaled to a 1080 60fps game when RTX is on. This represents 1/4 of the original performance.

That said, it doesn't mean Ray Tracing is dead. The tech is still maturing.

5700XT does provide the best bang for the buck of the two (2060S vs 5700 XT) and is faster.

Fusion1005

Commendable
Jan 15, 2020
Ray tracing is beautiful. But the horse power to actually do it isn't sufficiently there even for the top end RTX cards. Therefore for this generation it's mostly a gimmick with limited use and severe performance penalties. In some cases, a 4K 60fps game would have to be downscaled to a 1080 60fps game when RTX is on. This represents 1/4 of the original performance.

That said, it doesn't mean Ray Tracing is dead. The tech is still maturing.

5700XT does provide the best bang for the buck of the two (2060S vs 5700 XT) and is faster.

Yeah, that was my main reason for making this post; whether the 2060S could handle Ray Tracing or not.
From my research, I'm basically seeing what you're saying: it can't handle it. Plus, when you take into consideration that I will probably be gaming at 1440p, it definitely cannot handle it because I'm targeting around 100 fps.

TRENDING THREADS