Question Is Refresh Rate Capped by Laptop Hardware?

Aug 10, 2023
I have a 4K 55" TV (Samsung QN90B, 144hz refresh rate capable), that I'm using as a monitor. In PC or Game mode, connected to my Asus Vivobook S, I cannot get the refresh rate above 33hz :worried: Which is giving me REALLY annoying mouse cursor lag, when working on my apps within the TV panel.

At a lower resolution (1920 x 1080), I can get 60hz or even 120hz, and the lag goes, but I don't want that low a resolution, everything is way too big, even at 100% scale in the display settings. Right now I'm using 3840 x 2160 @ 33hz & 125% scale, and the size of text etc. is perfect. But the input lag!!! :weary:

Anyone know if there's a way to raise the refresh rate with software perhaps? Or do I need to buy a new laptop?

I have an 8K high quality HDMI lead and I'm connected directly the the HDMI port on the laptop. Oh, and I should mention, I also have my Xbox Series X connected to HDMI 2 on the TV and I get 144hz @ 4K with that.

I think it's limited by hardware. I think I will just have to get a new laptop, which is really annoying, as I really like this laptop :(

rgd1101

Don't
didn't find that older version
but with 8th gen cpu
only hdmi 1.4 which only support 4k at 30

Aug 10, 2023
didn't find that older version
but with 8th gen cpu
only hdmi 1.4 which only support 4k at 30
Yes. I thought that might be the case ☹ New laptop it is then! 🤦‍♂️

Thank you for your time.

TRENDING THREADS