[SOLVED] Is "Reset windows" with "keep personal files" sufficient for motherboard change?

Nov 3, 2019
Just swapped out my motherboard,

Was wondering if reset windows but keep personal files is good enough for restarting windows and not having any compatiblitly or stability issues, as opposed to a USB boot clean install which is more of a hassle for me right now?

Solution
With a new motherboard, a clean install is strongly recommended, often required.
The "Reset" is not any different than just trying to use the drive as it is in the new hardware. Likely fail.

The portable USB HDD?
Creating the Win 10 install media WILL wipe out everything on that drive.
It is strongly recommended to use a blank flash drive for this.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

USAFRet

Titan
Just swapped out my motherboard,

Was wondering if reset windows but keep personal files is good enough for restarting windows and not having any compatiblitly or stability issues, as opposed to a USB boot clean install which is more of a hassle for me right now?
No, it isn't.

While a clean install may be a "hassle", that is absolutely the recommended way forward.

Nov 3, 2019
No, it isn't.

While a clean install may be a "hassle", that is absolutely the recommended way forward.

Just to clarify im talking about the "hold shift + press restart button" option where, it does download and install the whole windows from fresh. It has two options "delete everything and reinstall windows" or "keep personal files and reinstall windows" these are things like photos and documents, etc.

Or is it substantially better to do a USB boot and clean install?

Can you help refresh my memory, can I create a bootable windows installer on a portable usb HDD if I already have files on the HDD?

USAFRet

Titan
With a new motherboard, a clean install is strongly recommended, often required.
The "Reset" is not any different than just trying to use the drive as it is in the new hardware. Likely fail.

The portable USB HDD?
Creating the Win 10 install media WILL wipe out everything on that drive.
It is strongly recommended to use a blank flash drive for this.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Solution

TRENDING THREADS