[SOLVED] Is restoring from a system image

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
the same thing as restoring from a restore point? I don't mean in technical terms ofc (pretty sure they're different otherwise they would have the same name), I mean the end-result.

Solution
No.

A "system image" would typically be "everything" on the chosen partition or partitions.

A restore point is a much smaller subset of that and would not include personal data or all of Windows or all of any particular partition. I think it is just concerned with the registry, but have never seriously examined it. System Restore points don't always restore properly and are not as reliable as image restoration. And they typically cannot be kept long term unless you devote a lot of space to them. Restore points can be useful as a quick way to get out of a jam, but they aren't a proper backup....if that is your intention.
No.

A "system image" would typically be "everything" on the chosen partition or partitions.

A restore point is a much smaller subset of that and would not include personal data or all of Windows or all of any particular partition. I think it is just concerned with the registry, but have never seriously examined it. System Restore points don't always restore properly and are not as reliable as image restoration. And they typically cannot be kept long term unless you devote a lot of space to them. Restore points can be useful as a quick way to get out of a jam, but they aren't a proper backup....if that is your intention.

Reactions: nbartolo7
Solution

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
So, if the drive is still functioning correctly but I just want to fix an unknown issue, does that mean that I should first try to restore from a restore point, and only if it doesn't work, use the better system image option?

USAFRet

Titan
So, if the drive is still functioning correctly but I just want to fix an unknown issue, does that mean that I should first try to restore from a restore point, and only if it doesn't work, use the better system image option?
You need to create the Image or Restore point before the BadThing happens.

Preferably, on an ongoing schedule.
Every day or every week, for instance.

Me personally, I ignore Restore Points completely.

That's a reasonable idea.

I've used System Restore over 100 times since it was introduced.

It has never hurt. Perhaps 1 time in 10 it fails to run to completion or doesn't resolve the problem.

Most of my attempts were on Windows 7, not 10. I haven't used it on 10 more than a dozen times since 10 was introduced. I guess that is because I am getting into fewer jams where it might be necessary....Windows 10 and Window 10 Update may be a bit more reliable than 7 was.

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
That's a reasonable idea.

I've used System Restore over 100 times since it was introduced.

It has never hurt. Perhaps 1 time in 10 it fails to run to completion or doesn't resolve the problem.

Most of my attempts were on Windows 7, not 10. I haven't used it on 10 more than a dozen times since 10 was introduced. I guess that is because I am getting into fewer jams where it might be necessary....Windows 10 and Window 10 Update may be a bit more reliable than 7 was.
I've also had a good experience with restore points throughout the years.

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
You need to create the Image or Restore point before the BadThing happens.

Preferably, on an ongoing schedule.
Every day or every week, for instance.

Me personally, I ignore Restore Points completely.
Yeah I already have restore points created, it's the very first thing I do on new systems. But I'm finally wrapping my head around images. Thanks