[SOLVED] Is RM750 an ok psu for dual socket server?

lolo4dee

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
Im building a dual socket server with a supermicro x8dtl-if motherboard and all i need now is the psu. The motherboard requires 2 8pin EPS connectors from what ive read, and the RM750 has that. The psu will be powering 2 xeon e5530s (around 80 watts each). The system will not have a descrete gpu (or at least not a high power one). Im fairly certain this will work, im just asking if there is anything i should be concerned about, any flaws about this psu that might make it insufficient or unsafe for what im trying to do. Thanks!

Solution
The RM750 will be more than sufficient. The only real 'flaw' in that PSU tend to be price - it tends to only be marginally cheaper than 'great' units. However, PSU prices are all over the place these days, so may not be true anymore.

lolo4dee

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
The RM750 will be more than sufficient. The only real 'flaw' in that PSU tend to be price - it tends to only be marginally cheaper than 'great' units. However, PSU prices are all over the place these days, so may not be true anymore.
Thanks for the reply! Good to know that the psu will be safe and sufficient for my uses.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Thanks for the reply! Good to know that the psu will be safe and sufficient for my uses.

Out of curiosity, what kind of price are you considering it at? And where are you located?
In the US, the only availability I can find appear to be ~$150 which is a bit pricey, IMO.

Realistically, given what it's to be powering, a quality ~500W unit would be more than enough - and could be found for $100 or a little less.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Km...ified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fm

Out of curiosity, what kind of price are you considering it at? And where are you located?
In the US, the only availability I can find appear to be ~$150 which is a bit pricey, IMO.

Realistically, given what it's to be powering, a quality ~500W unit would be more than enough - and could be found for $100 or a little less.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Km...ified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fm

Despite PCPP saying it's in stock at Newegg, it's not. Click on the link.

And the third party sellers' on Amazon's price for an entry level Gold 550W? Ridiculous.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Despite PCPP saying it's in stock at Newegg, it's not. Click on the link.

And the third party sellers' on Amazon's price for an entry level Gold 550W? Ridiculous.

Now that I look, it is out of stock. However, so is the RM750 everywhere, as far as I can tell (although BestBuy does show in stock via PCPP).

With availability & pricing, 'best' I can find (for reasonable money for what they are) and in stock would be:

CX550 for ~$80 shipped.
550W G3 for ~$114 shipped
FOCUS PX-550 for ~$126 shipped

The PX-550 is appealing for the money, given the current climate/availability... but given the load proposed by the OP, the CX550 should be good enough, and much more affordable (relatively speaking).