[SOLVED] is rtx 2060 worth spending extra bucks than buying a gtx 1660ti

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hasanuzzaman015

Reputable
Oct 15, 2019
i am building my first gaming pc. i am under budget and very confused about which gpu to buy. i had my eyes on the gigabyte gtx 1660ti for a while but recently i saw a good deal for zotac rtx 2060. this is the cheapest rtx 2060 i could find. the two gpu have a price difference of 60usd. which one should i buy?

Solution
Get the 2060S rather than normal 2060 or 1660. RTX or ray tracing in general is the future. AMD says they will incorporate ray tracing on their next chip, PS5 will have hardware ray tracing, and so far, devs are loving ray tracing because it saved them some work of manually configuring the lighting. For now, very little game release with ray tracing because there's so little consumer base that have RTX cards. but all of that will change once AMD embrace ray tracing, and console games support it. So yeah, for future proofing, get RTX 2060 Super. but if you're planning to change GPU next year, then 1660ti will serve you just fine.

WildCard999

Titan
The RX 5700 is an interesting choice but if you have a higher ambient temp it may not be a good choice as it runs warm and the aftermarket versions are a bit more expensive.

Also drivers have been a bit wonky lately so it may be something to take into consideration until there ironed out.

Reactions: Infydel

Infydel

Prominent
Jun 21, 2019
The RX 5700 is an interesting choice but if you have a higher ambient temp it may not be a good choice as it runs warm and the aftermarket versions are a bit more expensive.

Also drivers have been a bit wonky lately so it may be something to take into consideration until there ironed out.
Rx5700 is great for future, but adrenalin is sux.

In dis case, rtx 2060 is great options.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

orgetorix

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015
I have a 2060 from MSI and love it. Not sure how it compares to the 1660, but I usually get the best I can afford mostly because I don't love opening my case to replace cards before I have to.

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
Get the 2060S rather than normal 2060 or 1660. RTX or ray tracing in general is the future. AMD says they will incorporate ray tracing on their next chip, PS5 will have hardware ray tracing, and so far, devs are loving ray tracing because it saved them some work of manually configuring the lighting. For now, very little game release with ray tracing because there's so little consumer base that have RTX cards. but all of that will change once AMD embrace ray tracing, and console games support it. So yeah, for future proofing, get RTX 2060 Super. but if you're planning to change GPU next year, then 1660ti will serve you just fine.

Solution

Infydel

Prominent
Jun 21, 2019
This is correct, but 60$ it is not much for better card, 30fps +/- it is not small diferent. If u dodnt plain rtx 2060 super. Better buy 2060 then 1660Ti.

hasanuzzaman015

Reputable
Oct 15, 2019
I would like to get the 2060S but it's more expensive and I can't afford it right now. I am looking for a gpu that will get me through at least 3-4 years. So I guess I will go with regular 2060.

Infydel

Prominent
Jun 21, 2019
I would like to get the 2060S but it's more expensive and I can't afford it right now. I am looking for a gpu that will get me through at least 3-4 years. So I guess I will go with regular 2060.
In rhe future i will go on rtx 2060 super.
For now, better option is regular 2060.