[SOLVED] is RTX 3080 overkill for 2K monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osaidaz

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015
not planning to get 4K monitor, should I go for 3070? my budget can get me 3080 , but I don't have to buy something I don't utilize it fully.
thanks

Solution
Yes, you'll NEVER get close to fully utilizing all the "power" the card has available. No need to spend $700 on a GPU just to have it sit at ~50% usage when you could spend a couple hundred less for the same framerates.
Depends on how long he intents to use it, no?

If I may ask, are there objective reasons for stating "3080 is overkill for full HD" or did someone important say that and everyone just repeats it? I mean, we had graphics card improvements when full HD was basically the only resolution as well, games just became more complex regarding polygons and whatnot and GPUs had more stuff to do even without the amount of pixels changing. I'm a bit confused why this is apparently now the only thing that matters.
For...
Sep 5, 2020
If I may ask, are there objective reasons for stating "3080 is overkill for full HD" or did someone important say that and everyone just repeats it? I mean, we had graphics card improvements when full HD was basically the only resolution as well, games just became more complex regarding polygons and whatnot and GPUs had more stuff to do even without the amount of pixels changing. I'm a bit confused why this is apparently now the only thing that matters.

Yes, you'll NEVER get close to fully utilizing all the "power" the card has available. No need to spend $700 on a GPU just to have it sit at ~50% usage when you could spend a couple hundred less for the same framerates.

Reactions: Phaaze88

zesun

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
Depends on how long he intents to use it, no?

For some reason people are using resolution and refresh rate more than anything these days, when they talk about GPU choice.
Yes, some GPU's are overkill for 1080 RIGHT NOW. But as always, games continue to get more complex even at 1080.

It really depends on how long you want it to last. If it's short term, then yes most certainly it's overkill. Otherwise, not really.

Solution
Sep 17, 2020
i had to commnet cause u are just a bunch of idiot kids...a guys asks for advice and all u see is grammar mistakes..idiots..why are u even here ???
if u play at 1440 or 2k ..u need a 240hz monitor for sure. depends what games u prefer 2... if u paly more like multiplayer cs go valorant. or u prefer those complex games. 3080 is not an overkill..depends tha fps u wants and the game...for csgo and the easy games any card is overkill !!!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
we've got reviews now and he answers that question right in the review. perhaps that's the first place to go rather than asking for us to interpret it for you

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-review

"Let's also be clear that the RTX 3080 is primarily for high-resolution gaming. Yes, you can run 1440p with RTX effects, and it will be a good fit. It's a better fit for 4K gaming. Don't bother with it if you're using a 1080p display, as you could get nearly the same level of performance with a lesser GPU. "

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Well, everything that I have seen so far about the RTX 3080 cards - whether Founders Editions or AIB cards is that 1440P is basically equaling or beating what the RTX 2080 cards could do at 1080P. So hardly overkill - but can be expensive. I'm stepping up from my RTX 2070 Super FTW3 Ultra to the EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming through EVGA's Step Up Program - and it will cost me $241 with the RMA of my 2070 Super.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fOpaPPCUDA
check this benchmark
just low end or competitive games run over 140fps ...and in a year or twoo new games new graphics...1440p 144hz not that easy ..

This doesn't mean I "need" a 240Hz monitor. I have an Asus PG279Q, it's smooth as butter. Just because a gpu can output high frame rates doesn't mean I need to buy a new monitor. That's not how this works.

Sep 12, 2020
This doesn't mean I "need" a 240Hz monitor. I have an Asus PG279Q, it's smooth as butter. Just because a gpu can output high frame rates doesn't mean I need to buy a new monitor. That's not how this works.

Yes. I'm in a similar situation, with an AOC AG271QG

So, in summary wait until the RTX3070 comes out and check the reviews, as it's looking like the RTX3070 may turn out to be the sweet spot for 2k/1440p/WQHD @165hz .

The other issues are of course different PSU requirements, CPU bottlenecks between the RTX3080 and RTX3070...
I'm lazy and frugal, and I'd rather not upgrade that stuff if I can avoid it just to squeeze out more fps than my eyes can see.

Then there's the fact that the RTX3080 is 5cm longer than the 1080 I'm upgrading from, and wouldn't fit in my case with the current AIO installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.