Question Is rtx worth it?

keaton6

Reputable
May 24, 2015
So i recently built myself a decent system with all new components except the graphics card. I wanted to wait on the gpu last as i already have a gpu but now its the bottleneck in my pc. So iv been planning on going with a gtx 1660 ti for a minute now but im thinking it my be in my best interest to upgrade that to an rtx 2060 or even 2070. Im just not sure if its even worth it, the 1660 ti is 329, 2060 is 409 and the 2070 is 530. I know what each card offers performance wise i just dont know if the rtx cards are even worth it right now. Iv seen countless review on bad cards with artifacting being the problem in almost every negative review. So i guess the big question for me is should i go with the 1660 ti and upgrade it in a few years or just go rtx right away and buy myself a little longer in the upgrade front? I want to mention this is a vr build for the oculus rift s. Im entirely sure how well the 1660 ti will run vr but i think it should do fine. Il also mention that im sold on a asus rog card regardless of what card i pick thats where my prices come from. I know that cards can be cheaper if i go msi or evga... But il shell out that extra for the asus card. 2070 is my cap aswell its to be paired with ryzen 2600x and 32G ddr4.

keaton6

Reputable
May 24, 2015
The monitor is an acer 1080p but that will be upgraded fairly soon aswell. Specs are ryzen 5 2600x overclocked just a bit, trident z 2x16 3200mhz, and i have a corsair 850 gold which i have yet to hit my 50% load so i should be fine there

keaton6

Reputable
May 24, 2015
I also want to mention that maybe not right of the bat but a few months later im probably gonna grab a 3000 series ryzen havent decided on which one yet but my 2600 wont be here for ever

Jun 15, 2019
Hello, I would wait untill the new RTX 20 series comes out, as Nvidia released 5 new cards that are called "Super" so like: RTX 2070 Super.
I have a normal RTX 2070. The performance are great and most of the games are easy to run on max grapphics. The only thing you have to look is do you want to pay that mutch extra for RTX when there aren't that many games that support ray tracing.
I actually don't notice that mutch of the ray tracing. On the other hand VR is pretty good on it but I think there are more videocards that are better if you actually don't care that mutch for ray tracing.
Also, if you use ray tracing you get like a 30 FPS so won't recommand using it in games like battlefield.

I hope I gave you enough information :) Good luck!

keaton6

Reputable
May 24, 2015
im not sure if il get a 1440 monitor i only want a new one because my acer is old. this pc is pretty much only for vr. im just not sure if rtx is reliable? i see you have a 2080 ti. does it run smooth, any artifacting?

Worth is something only YOU can determine.
RTX will be showing up in more games, but, perhaps that is not something you need.
If you are undecided, I suggest you buy an EVGA card, perhaps the GTX1660ti.
You will get an option for 90 days to send the card to EVGA and get your full purchase price credited if you upgrade to a stronger card.
Read the details on the EVGA web site.

keaton6

Reputable
May 24, 2015
Hello, I would wait untill the new RTX 20 series comes out, as Nvidia released 5 new cards that are called "Super" so like: RTX 2070 Super.
I have a normal RTX 2070. The performance are great and most of the games are easy to run on max grapphics. The only thing you have to look is do you want to pay that mutch extra for RTX when there aren't that many games that support ray tracing.
I actually don't notice that mutch of the ray tracing. On the other hand VR is pretty good on it but I think there are more videocards that are better if you actually don't care that mutch for ray tracing.
Also, if you use ray tracing you get like a 30 FPS so won't recommand using it in games like battlefield.

I hope I gave you enough information :) Good luck!
ray tracing isnt something i really care about i just figured rtx because it has the gddr6 vs gddr5 i plan to turn ray tracing off if i go with an rtx. thats another reason i landed on the 1660 ti because it too has gddr6 and i think its the price to performance sweet spot for 1080 gaming but my budget can handle upwards of 500 to 550 so i felt i should get a better card for dare i say (future proofing). any recommendations for a good gpu around that price point if not an rtx?

ray tracing isnt something i really care about i just figured rtx because it has the gddr6 vs gddr5 i plan to turn ray tracing off if i go with an rtx. thats another reason i landed on the 1660 ti because it too has gddr6 and i think its the price to performance sweet spot for 1080 gaming but my budget can handle upwards of 500 to 550 so i felt i should get a better card for dare i say (future proofing). any recommendations for a good gpu around that price point if not an rtx?

You don't buy the RTX cards because of RT. ;)

You buy them because they are MUCH more powerful than the last generation overall.

RT is an option in the setting in the games.

I don't think a lot people are using RT with cards less than the RTX 2080 with the games that support it anyway.

The 1660Ti is not all that great really, the 2060 is a faster and better card overall.

Jun 15, 2019

Maby look on: https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-graphics-cards/
I think there isn't really a better card at this point. Maby wait a little longer?

keaton6

Reputable
May 24, 2015
Worth is something only YOU can determine.
RTX will be showing up in more games, but, perhaps that is not something you need.
If you are undecided, I suggest you buy an EVGA card, perhaps the GTX1660ti.
You will get an option for 90 days to send the card to EVGA and get your full purchase price credited if you upgrade to a stronger card.
Read the details on the EVGA web site.
i mean i would rather i higher end card as my budget can go a bit higher i just havent heard good things on the reliability of rtx cards. iv seen more negative reviews and youtube videos on bad rtx cards then any other card. but this is a vr specific build so if the 1660 ti will hit that 90 fps or better that is recommended for vr gaming then i guess there is no need. i dont want to just barely hit 90 fps either i would like a little wiggle room.

i mean i would rather i higher end card as my budget can go a bit higher i just havent heard good things on the reliability of rtx cards. iv seen more negative reviews and youtube videos on bad rtx cards then any other card. but this is a vr specific build so if the 1660 ti will hit that 90 fps or better that is recommended for vr gaming then i guess there is no need. i dont want to just barely hit 90 fps either i would like a little wiggle room.

Take MOST things on YT with a grain of salt, almost everything is complete BS.

Some YT person says something and before you know it 10 more say the same thing, it's follow the leader. :rolleyes:

It's getting more pathetic and less reliable as time goes on.

This is a well known knowledgeable reviewer. He is discussing the new Navi cards (probably worth waiting for) but he discusses Ray Tracing and who should consider a factor when buying a gpu. Worth a watch
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdaGdFcDLSk

Jay is one of the more honest reviewers and actually really worked in the industry before he started his channel.

He is one of the very few who actually do know what they are talking about on YT.

And he doesn't cook his results either. ;)

He is actually realistic in saying MOST gamers stay in the $250 range and under for GPU's. ;)

Last edited: