[SOLVED] Is running DDU necessary if the computer has never had a video card installed before?

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Hi, All,

I am installing a PNY 12 GB XLRT Single Fan RTX 3060 in a computer which has never had a video card installed, i.e., it has ONLY run off of the CPU onboard graphics.

Solution
I'd do it since it doesn't take anything away from the build, apart from the fact that the OS might've downloaded and installed some form of driver over time...since the OS isn't really that smart when doing auto driver updates, ofc, assuming you're on Windows 10/11. BTW, I meant using DDU to remove any traces of Nvidia GPU drivers. Leave the iGPU drivers as is. After DDU, power down and then disconnect from the wall and display to drop in the new (discrete) GPU. Reconnect all connections, power up and manually install the latest driver for the GPU sourced from Nvidia(before hand) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Lutfij

Titan
I'd do it since it doesn't take anything away from the build, apart from the fact that the OS might've downloaded and installed some form of driver over time...since the OS isn't really that smart when doing auto driver updates, ofc, assuming you're on Windows 10/11. BTW, I meant using DDU to remove any traces of Nvidia GPU drivers. Leave the iGPU drivers as is. After DDU, power down and then disconnect from the wall and display to drop in the new (discrete) GPU. Reconnect all connections, power up and manually install the latest driver for the GPU sourced from Nvidia(before hand) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Solution