[SOLVED] Is ryzen 5 2600 a good upgrade over my i5-6500?

jbl_xd

Honorable
May 9, 2015
Hi! So I'm looking to upgrade, with a tight budget, my proc w/ a ryzen 5 2600 paired w/ a 3200 / 3600 freq ram and a b450 mobo. Is it a worthy upgrade on my part? Thanks!

Solution
Hi! So I'm looking to upgrade, with a tight budget, my proc w/ a ryzen 5 2600 paired w/ a 3200 / 3600 freq ram and a b450 mobo. Is it a worthy upgrade on my part? Thanks!

Yes it's well worth it. If all you're doing is gaming then the 3300x is a better pick than the 2600...if you also do video or photo work then stick with the 2600.
Depends on what you are doing.
strictly for gaming, no. definitely not. even maybe some performance loss (though just a few percent)

for video editing, or streaming, or basically anything that is more than gaming or doing something else while gaming, yes. it would be a huge upgrade.

Depends on what you are doing.
strictly for gaming, no. definitely not. even maybe some performance loss (though just a few percent)

for video editing, or streaming, or basically anything that is more than gaming or doing something else while gaming, yes. it would be a huge upgrade.
Some games that use 4 or less threads they are going to be close. However many modern AAA games are chocking quad core/thread CPU’s. Those quad core i5’s have aged badly for gaming, even the hex core i5’s are being saturated in some games.

May 5, 2020
I've read that ryzen 3 3300x is also good compared to a ryzen 5 2600 basing on price performance.

@siaan312 welp. I do gaming and stream them sometimes.

If you consider gaming and streaming, you could benefit from having more cores. 3300x is a 4c/8t chip compared to 2600's 6c/12t. 6 core, even 8 core is not an overkill if you want to do anything else while gaming, with compromising minimum performance or none.

You might also stream via your GPU, but I don't know which model you have.

By the way, if you go with a 3600Mhz RAM, check the motherboard you consider buying whether it supports that kit. Some cheap models only support up to 3200Mhz.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Let me chime in as a fellow Skylake (i7-6700) user. I upgraded to a 2600 (literally just 3 days before 3300X was launched), and boy I think it was worth it. Games run smoother (granted I only play Destiny 2 and then some, but even as a casual player the difference is noticeable). I don't note frame times or the likes, I just feel it with my guts and it's indeed smoother.

An i5-6500 would be more of a performance jump, if anything. But you might want to check your choices first. 3300X looks sweet in my opinion and if I hadn't picked up the 2600 I might grab that one instead.

Reactions: Makste and King_V

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Yesssss

No but really its basically the best budget cpu you can buy apart from 3rd generation which I bought a week before it actually came out and im still happy with it. Even for gaming it is great. I have corsair vengeance 16gb 3200mhz for very cheap so you might want a look at that.

Worth is something only the OP can determine.
A bit more info would be helpful.
What is the budget?
What is the current psu and graphics card?
What types of games are played?
I ask because
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.
Any processor upgrade should be oriented towards the prevalent game types.