[SOLVED] Is Ryzen 5 5600x worth the upgrade over Ryzen 5 3600?

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Hello,

Currently I am rocking a Ryzen 5 3600. I managed to get an RTX 3080 which is great but I am a bit disappointed with the fps. I watched countless rtx 3080 benchmarks and barely all match. In the past, when I watched gpu benchmarks, I compared them to mine and they were on point. But not the rtx 3080. It seems that this beast of a card is not consistent with all setups/chips.

The gpu usage is hovering between 40-70% on 1440p max settings for games such as Call of duty warzone, watch dogs 2. Comparing to benchmarks, better chips than the Ryzen 5 3600 consist of higher GPU utilization so I thought maybe my r5 3600 is actually bottlenecking.

But for metro exodus and watch dogs legion (both gpu demanding games), my gpu usage is above 96%. So I figured maybe my ryzen 5 3600 isn't the bottleneck? Eitherway, bottlenecking or not the fps is a bit of a disappointment, comparing to YouTube benchmarks. I'm always lower.

It seems that Intel + RTX 3080 is the best combo, gaining 20-60 fps more than what I'm getting. And now based on early benchmarks, it seems that the new Ryzen 5 5600x beats Intel i9-9900k.

So for my situation, to pair the RTX 3080 with a better chip (since I think ryzen 5 3600 is in fact the bottleneck), would it be a good idea to upgrade to only a one generation higher comparable chip? Or is it just a waste of money going one generation higher to a 'comparable' 6c/12t chip (I highlighted comparable because it's the replacement chip, even though it may be miles better as it is claimed).

Thank you,

Last edited:
Solution
@jojesa @MeanMachine41

Other than the performance gains, do you think it's worth the upgrade to another 6c/12t chip, albeit a generation higher? I think that's the only reason why I am reserved to upgrading. Cost wise, I'm not worried. I can probably sell my R5 3600 so I won't be out that much.
There are several reasons you might want to upgrade to the 5600X.
-Getting a 100Mhz increase on base clock per core, and also getting a 400Mhz increase on Boost per core ...which will help both multi and single thread games and apps.
-That combined with the improvements (IPC, efficiency , etc) makes a compelling point on upgrading to the 5600X from the 3600 CPU.
-Also adding that you have a powerful GPU, and you might want...
Hello,

Currently I am rocking a Ryzen 5 3600. I managed to get an RTX 3080 which is great but I am a bit disappointed with the fps. I watched countless rtx 3080 benchmarks and barely all match. In the past, when I watched gpu benchmarks, I compared them to mine and they were on point. But not the rtx 3080. It seems that this beast of a card is not consistent with all setups/chips.
The gpu usage is hovering between 40-70% on 1440p max settings for games such as Call of duty warzone, watch dogs 2. Comparing to benchmarks, better chips than the Ryzen 5 3600 consist of higher GPU utilization so I thought maybe my r5 3600 is actually bottlenecking.
As you may have seen, those bench were achieved with a faster CPU ( i9-9900k, 9 3900X, i7-10700K, etc) which help with the higher FPS.

But for metro exodus and watch dogs legion (both gpu demanding games), my gpu usage is above 96%. So I figured maybe my ryzen 5 3600 isn't the bottleneck? Eitherway, bottlenecking or not the fps is a bit of a disappointment, comparing to YouTube benchmarks. I'm always lower.
There are CPU and GPU intensive games. Those games where the CPU is taxed (Hitman, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Monster Hunter World, etc) requiring a lot of processing will yield better FPS with a faster CPU.

It seems that Intel + RTX 3080 is the best combo, gaining 20-60 fps more than what I'm getting. And now based on early benchmarks, it seems that the new Ryzen 5 5600x beats Intel i9-9900k.

So for my situation, to pair the RTX 3080 with a better chip (since I think ryzen 5 3600 is in fact the bottleneck), would it be a good idea to upgrade to only a one generation higher comparable chip? Or is it just a waste of money going one generation higher to a 'comparable' 6c/12t chip (I highlighted comparable because it's the replacement chip, even though it may be miles better as it is claimed).

Thank you,
If you are not encountering any gameplay issues (e.g lag) then you might not see a difference going with a faster CPU. Of course with the Ryzen 5 5600x you will get higher FPS.

But if you just want to have higher FPS, Ryzen 5600X will help you to get to that goal.

Reactions: Jmusic88

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
@jojesa @MeanMachine41

Thanks for your replies!

Other than the performance gains, do you think it's worth the upgrade to another 6c/12t chip, albeit a generation higher? I think that's the only reason why I am reserved to upgrading. Cost wise, I'm not worried. I can probably sell my R5 3600 so I won't be out that much.

@jojesa @MeanMachine41

-Getting a 100Mhz increase on base clock per core, and also getting a 400Mhz increase on Boost per core ...which will help both multi and single thread games and apps.
-That combined with the improvements (IPC, efficiency , etc) makes a compelling point on upgrading to the 5600X from the 3600 CPU.
-Also adding that you have a powerful GPU, and you might want to squeeze all the performance out it, which you won't be able to accomplish with the 3600.
-If you are planning to sell your 5 3600 then you will get a better return by selling it as soon as possible, since the price will drop as time goes by.

Solution

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
-Also adding that you have a powerful GPU, and you might want to squeeze all the performance out it, which you won't be able to accomplish with the 3600.
-If you are planning to sell your 5 3600 then you will get a better return by selling it as soon as possible, since the price will drop as time goes by.

Thanks again! Definitely good reasons to upgrade! Only thing is, I can't sell my R5 3600 now as my PC will be chipless, thus out of order and I use it everyday. I also have a B450 board, so I'll have to wait until next year to get the bios upgrade before installing the 5000 ryzen.

But for sure, you helped me make a more compelling case in upgrading. Thanks again!

Nov 2, 2020
Firstly, Well done on getting your hands on a 3080.
I replaced my 2600x with the 5600x last tuesday and can assure you that it is a beast of a cpu. I would assume that the performance uplift over your 3600 would be comparible. I'll hopefully have it paired with a 6800 xt by the end of the month to see the full benefit. When your BIOS update is available, I would recommend upgrading. Cheers.

I replaced my 2600x with the 5600x last tuesday and can assure you that it is a beast of a cpu. I would assume that the performance uplift over your 3600 would be comparible. I'll hopefully have it paired with a 6800 xt by the end of the month to see the full benefit. When your BIOS update is available, I would recommend upgrading. Cheers.

Woah... you've got your hands on the 5600X on 27th of October?
Are you an AMD intern or something? They're supposed to launch on the 5th of November.

/s.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020

As @ChumP, said, how did you get a Ryzen 5 5600X when the cpu chip hasn't been released yet?

Nov 2, 2020
Long story, and don't want to get anyone in trouble. It was a favour after receiving a faulty PSU.
My statement still stands; the 5600x is a fantastic CPU.

I would upload a photo but don't know how to on this forum.

Nov 2, 2020
That's awesome! I'm surprised you got it a few weeks prior to it being released. Congrats!
Thanks. Just one of those things that occasionally happen.
I bought a PSU for £135 that was meant to be brand new but clearly wasn't. It was a block of s**t to be honest. The PC shop seller admitted it and gave me the CPU as a gesture of goodwill. I still had to buy a PSU, but came out of it good financially.
I think we are drifting away from the OP's question though, lol.
5600x upgrade is certainly worth it :)

Last edited:
Overclocker Jumper118 managed to get himself and his 5600X listed in HWbot...and he's tearing up the charts. He's competing with overclocks in the LN2 categories...and he's got this thing on air.

Check it out for yourself...

That's what double digit IPC improvements on a modern architecture will get you. Whether it's worth it to you for just gaming in situations where you might be pretty much GPU limited...that's for you to say.

Reactions: Jmusic88