[SOLVED] Is Ryzen 5000 Mobile Hitting 100+ Degrees Normal?

ethan206

Honorable
Jul 27, 2018
I've had my Razer Blade 14 (5900HX + RTX 3060) for a couple of months now but only just realized how hot it gets under load. Typically it idles around 50 degrees which I would assume is pretty normal, but the moment I fire up a game (Valorant, Cyberpunk 2077, Rainbow Six Siege, etc.) the CPU hits well over 90 degrees (and this is on the Balanced mode in Razer Synapse, Windows Settings, and the Control Panel power plan) and if I switch to High/Boost Mode in Razer Synapse, the CPU just red lines at 101.5 degrees the entire time (and even when doing something like web browsing, I'm hitting close to 80 degrees all the time). I do hear the fans get way louder in those modes, but is it normal for the CPU to get that hot?

Interestingly, the GPU seems to never go over 75 degrees and is capped at that in all GPU modes. Is Razer capping the GPU temps in "exchange" to let the CPU run hotter? I also did a Fire Strike stress test (attached screenshot below).

View: https://imgur.com/a/WvGKvdd

Solution
D
Is it necessarily safe though, like would I be making my laptop's lifespan shorter? I do have my laptop under a cooling pad and it's not like I'm always playing a game/running the CPU at peak performance, but even if it thermal throttles (lowers clock speeds), it still stays above 95 C.

I don't think you will have much of a issue with longevity. I think people get a little confused about thermal limits on newer silicon. It's honestly not a big deal anymore.

ethan206

Honorable
Jul 27, 2018
Sadly it's normal, those chips just like intel's will boost till they thermal throttle.

Is it necessarily safe though, like would I be making my laptop's lifespan shorter? I do have my laptop under a cooling pad and it's not like I'm always playing a game/running the CPU at peak performance, but even if it thermal throttles (lowers clock speeds), it still stays above 95 C.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It doesn't matter so much if it's "safe" or not when you can't do anything about it. Both of the laptops I regularly use (an Intel and an AMD) run very high temps when doing even what I might consider light workloads. Adobe conversion or compression puts them on limit instantly.

D

Deleted member 362816

I don't think you will have much of a issue with longevity. I think people get a little confused about thermal limits on newer silicon. It's honestly not a big deal anymore.

Solution