[SOLVED] Is Ryzen Gen 3 Bios Stable?

Aug 6, 2019
I am contemplating the comission of a new build - 3900X v 9900K. I need this to be bulletproof out of the gate, and worry about potential bugs and instability with the Ryzen bios.

How solid is the 3900x bios?

The machine will be for photo editing, stacking, etc., and light rendering.

Last edited:
Solution
Depends entirely on the motherboard MFR right now as some have been a bit slower getting new BIOS into the field with updated CPU AGESA code from AMD. Some are even (still) on pre-launch code revisions that were only ever meant to give a newly purchased board enough stability to load a post-launch BIOS rev with full-featured AGESA.

In general: buy an x570 board for best out-of-box stability potential but plan on an immediate update to latest BIOS available. Choose the X570 board with an eye to what BIOS updates are available on the mfr's web site, pick one with at least AGESA revision 1.0.0.3ab or preferably 1.0.0.3abb.

If you're new to AMD platform AGESA is AMD's BIOS code provided to board mfr's to build their BIOS on. It...
Depends entirely on the motherboard MFR right now as some have been a bit slower getting new BIOS into the field with updated CPU AGESA code from AMD. Some are even (still) on pre-launch code revisions that were only ever meant to give a newly purchased board enough stability to load a post-launch BIOS rev with full-featured AGESA.

In general: buy an x570 board for best out-of-box stability potential but plan on an immediate update to latest BIOS available. Choose the X570 board with an eye to what BIOS updates are available on the mfr's web site, pick one with at least AGESA revision 1.0.0.3ab or preferably 1.0.0.3abb.

If you're new to AMD platform AGESA is AMD's BIOS code provided to board mfr's to build their BIOS on. It provides the routines to initialize the processor and other board hardware (chipsets) and gives it presets to train memory.

Solution
Yeah as of now, all the BIOS's (especially for 300 series and 400 series boards) are in their infancy stage. Still bugs to sort out and stuff. If you want the best reliability, go with X570.

Asus right now seems to be the most late in terms of BIOS updates, MSI and Gigabyte are pretty on-point ATM. But usually it is hit or miss, there isn't one mobo manufacturer that is consistently good with bios updates.

Thank you, this is very helpful.

Are there any mobo makers that are generally better about using the latest bios, or is it hit and miss?
Hit or Miss... even within any mfr's line of motherboards it seems. I have to imagine it's a bit difficult to regression test a new BIOS revision across every motherboard in your product stack for three different processor generations...four if you count in Bristol Ridge.

Just replaced my motherboard and went with an MSI x570 board...have had zero issues so far. I would not recommend going with an Asrock board unless you buy the Tiachi model as most of their other boards are questionable on the VRM handling a 3900x long term...then again you should make sure the VRM on any board you buy can handle the demands a 12 core CPU will place on it. Gamers Nexus has a lot of VRM info on youtube for the new x570 boards...I would start there before making a choice.