Is ryzen worth it for a first time builder?

Sokrey

Prominent
May 13, 2017
So I am building my first ever gaming pc soon. I was wondering is a AMD Ryzen 5 1400,AMD Ryzen 5 1500X or Ryzen 3 1300X gonna be enough for pure gaming and livestreaming?
I plan to play games like League of legends,CS:GO,Overwatch. I would pair one of these cpus with a GTX 1050 ti. Would it be enough for me and would i get over 100fps in these games?

Solution
Sub 100htz refresh rates 2666mhz ram is absolutely fine , & as stated really any board will manage pretty much any ram at that speed.

The issue with the ryzens is the pricing structure (don't get me wrong they're all incredible value compared to Intel chips but against there own range there are standout chips performance to price )

Ryzen 3 1200 - the 1300x honestly offers nothing over it - oc the 1200 to 3.5ghz which is easily done & it'll match the 1300x.

The ryzen 1400 is a tough one , looks great value but the fact is it has half the cache of the 1500x, a weaker cooler & lower clocks out of the box.
At the minute the 1500x is £14/$20 more & absolutely worth that little extra.

Ryzen 5 1600 - hands down the best price to...

Sokrey

Prominent
May 13, 2017

If there are gonna be some great sales at that time YES OF COURSE!
But if not its gonna be one of those cpus I listed

joey59

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017
yes ryzen is defently worth it, they offer more cores and threads than intel, and the AM$ socket is new and you can upgrade along the way withought replacing the mobo, unlike LGA115.

coolncoolsui

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2012
Its worth all the money but there's been issues regarding booting with Ryzen cpus since they're new so buy a good motherboard and if you can have the place where you buy it update the bios it will be better ....I'd recommend msi b350m gaming pro ..its really good.
MOST IMPORTANTLY
You want to have a RAM with speed 3000 or higher cause Ryzen likes speed...also there's been compatibility problem with some brands like corsair..so if you can..then go for gskill ripjaws or crucial ballistix.

joey59

Prominent
Apr 30, 2017

That was only a issue when ryzen first came out... all those problems are fixed.

RageScarred

Reputable
May 30, 2014
Ryzen compatible motherboards have had A LOT of bios updates ever since release. They are stable now and majority of the issues have been solved. Now moving on to if ryzen is worth it for a first time build? Yes. In my opinion, at the moment it's worth it. Their performance and benchmarks in video editing and also in gaming is great. Streaming and gaming together? The ryzen will handle it (I'm talking about the ryzen 1600 here since I checked that out the most). But for streaming and gaming simultaneously, I'd get a lot of ram - minimum 8 gigs. I'm currently looking for a new build too but I'm delaying it for the new Intel's Coffee Lake processors.

Sub 100htz refresh rates 2666mhz ram is absolutely fine , & as stated really any board will manage pretty much any ram at that speed.

The issue with the ryzens is the pricing structure (don't get me wrong they're all incredible value compared to Intel chips but against there own range there are standout chips performance to price )

Ryzen 3 1200 - the 1300x honestly offers nothing over it - oc the 1200 to 3.5ghz which is easily done & it'll match the 1300x.

The ryzen 1400 is a tough one , looks great value but the fact is it has half the cache of the 1500x, a weaker cooler & lower clocks out of the box.
At the minute the 1500x is £14/$20 more & absolutely worth that little extra.

Ryzen 5 1600 - hands down the best price to performance CPU currently available - its $20/£20 more than the 1500x & is literally 50% more CPU for 12% more cash

I can understand budget constraints but honestly the 1600 is worth it & then some, sell your body , your soul - whatever you can to get one ;-)

Solution