Question Is safe to own a 2nd-gen AMD Ryzen CPU?

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
On July 3, 2019, AMD released the 3rd-gen Ryzen CPUs. It was built in Zen 2 Architecture, boosting the performance of the CPU cores, and making it immune to some variants of Spectre Attacks (All Ryzen CPUs are immune to most Spectre and all Meltdown vulnerabilities). But buying these 3rd-gen CPUs are expensive, and can be a hassle to hook it up with a B450 mobos (some B450 mobos are capable of 3rd-gen Ryzen, but I conjecture that they might cause errors in upgrading their BIOS). So I stick with 2nd-gen Ryzen. Not only they are cheap(Ryzen 5 2600 is very affordable), they are more compatible with B450 mobos. But what worries me is that the CPUs are vulnerable to Spectre variants. I don't want that to happen with my new gaming rig.

Safe because of Spectre ? That was never a threat with AMD. Or safe because it's second hand ? CPUs are very resilient if not misused or damaged physically so if seller is reputable....
For MBs with 300 and 400 chipsets, BIOS has to be updated for 3rd gen Ryzen, for 300 even for 2nd gen.
3rd gen is about 15% faster than 2nd gen Ryzen so it's up to you what to buy.

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
Safe because of Spectre ? That was never a threat with AMD. Or safe because it's second hand ? CPUs are very resilient if not misused or damaged physically so if seller is reputable....
For MBs with 300 and 400 chipsets, BIOS has to be updated for 3rd gen Ryzen, for 300 even for 2nd gen.
3rd gen is about 15% faster than 2nd gen Ryzen so it's up to you what to buy.
Sorry for the late reply. I thought it was a threat. According to Wikipedia, The 3rd-gen Ryzen CPUs were immune to such a thing.

TRENDING THREADS