[SOLVED] Is Samsung PM981 M.2 256 a good NVMe SSD?

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018
The aforementioned model is installed in my gaming laptop, installed directly from the factory. The thing is fast, stable, and well-rated by Amazon and Newegg. But I can't shake the feeling that there are better ones offered online, such as Samsung 500 Evo/250 Evo. Lack of space isn't the issue, because I already have a SATA SSD that is worth 1TB for extra space. (The 1TB SSD is SK Hynix SHGS31). I know Samsung makes good products online, but I also can't shake off the feeling that some aren't so great. When I shut down my computer, the system shuts down successfully, but the computer takes forever to turn off. I took my laptop to a repair shop, the technician told me to change the NVMe drive. I mean, I changed the SATA drive- I had a SATA hard drive, and the computer NEVER turned off during that time. Changing my SATA drive to SSD enabled it to shut down successfully. The computer having trouble shutting down is due to programs, such as Steam and Battle.net. Someone told me on this forum that the programs are the problem; I tried to fix the issue myself by installing Steam app to my main Samsung drive, and its games to the secondary SK Hynix SSD (Forgot to do that on Battle.net). The computer turned off quickly for a couple of days, but delays happened days later. I mean, this issue doesn't happen often. The technician said this doesn't cause any damages to the computer, but I feel like I have to upgrade my NVMe SSD in order for better results...

Laptop: LG Gaming Laptop

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz
RAM: 16GB
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX1060

Solution
Any delays in shutdown times that are caused by applications updating/closing/syncing prior to shutdown will not be cured by a larger SSD.

The PM981 is fine (speed -wise), if 250 GB is enough space for you, but, it might not be given the size of games these days, and, depending on how many other applications are installed, and, given the unwritten rule of it generally being best to keep about 25-33% of an SSD's space unused/avaiiable..
Any delays in shutdown times that are caused by applications updating/closing/syncing prior to shutdown will not be cured by a larger SSD.

The PM981 is fine (speed -wise), if 250 GB is enough space for you, but, it might not be given the size of games these days, and, depending on how many other applications are installed, and, given the unwritten rule of it generally being best to keep about 25-33% of an SSD's space unused/avaiiable..

Reactions: krelidas_34
Solution

krelidas_34

Honorable
Sep 23, 2018

Thank you!

TRENDING THREADS