Is Seagate Dropping Mainstream Support For Thunderbolt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnoD

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
"The big selling point with Thunderbolt is not only in its speed, but the ability to daisy chain up to six Thunderbolt devices."
And USB can chain up to 127 devices. So I don't see how this is a "big selling point."
Also, thunderbolt never was going to be a tech-changing innovation - USB was and is a well-set technology, and the release of thunderbolt wasn't going to change that, at least anytime soon (mass adoption does take its time).

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
So long Thunderbolt, it was good on paper but honestly in real world applications users would rather use USB3 than pay the ridiculous price for thunderbolt. It was basically firewire all over again.

Im happy I didn't decide to get a motherboard with thunderbolt, all the devices out there just didn't seem like it was worth the price.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Companies should learn to stop producing ports / tech that are mostly proprietary tech and expensive. Apple wanted exclusivity for thunderbolt and manage to somewhat fail about it.

And i`m pretty sure Nvidia`s G-Sync will fade with the introduction of FreeSync that Nvidia cards can also support and have cheaper monitors that will be able to use both GPU makers.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
"The big selling point with Thunderbolt is not only in its speed, but the ability to daisy chain up to six Thunderbolt devices."
And USB can chain up to 127 devices. So I don't see how this is a "big selling point."
Also, thunderbolt never was going to be a tech-changing innovation - USB was and is a well-set technology, and the release of thunderbolt wasn't going to change that, at least anytime soon (mass adoption does take its time).

Only six devices? That sounds almost like the old days of SCSI devices...as in pre-USB days, when SCSI was the only way to even "daisy-chain", since serial- and parallel-port devices either required separate physical ports or a physical switching device if you wanted to use multiple devices.

G

When they had some crazy loopback from your graphic card to the motherboard through a display port cable, then back out a Thunderbolt port, I knew they had lost their minds.

If you combine a couple of the comments already made, you can make some shrewd inferences about why Thunderbolt isn't catching on that much.

1) Though co-developed with Intel (maybe primarily by Intel), Apple likely wanted TB to be "their" high-speed interface. The 10Gbps speed of the interface could be touted by Apple, and it would reassure all of the premium buyers that "yes, you're getting the best!" So just like Firewire before it, Apple is the biggest and almost only mainstream ODM/OEM to integrate TB as their new preferred interface. So keeping TB in the mind of customers as being a "Apple" technology, even though it's not exclusive to Apple, suits Apple just fine.

2) The cost to add TB to a motherboard seems like it has been made a bit too high by Intel. You would think if Intel really wanted TB to catch on mainstream, they would find some way to reduce the cost of entry. They aren't makers of a lot of little peripherals, and their chips generally aren't used by the OEMs of items like hard drive enclosures, displays, and other items that could connect to your computer by TB. So they probably have decided to keep the revenue high on this tiny chunk of their overall revenue stream, and likely don't have any real motivation to promote TB. After all, their biggest customer of TB is Apple, and there isn't any need to reduce the price there when Apple customers have already grown used to higher prices.

JohnUSA

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
Almost any new technology involving hardware connections that Apple has a say in it always fails to be adopted by the PC market.
I never adopt any new technology that involves Apple. They are selfish, never share and make everything so ridiculously expensive. I hate Apple.

JohnUSA

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
Almost any new technology involving hardware connections that Apple has a say in it always fails to be adopted by the PC market.
I never adopt any new technology that involves Apple. They are selfish, never share and make everything so ridiculously expensive. I hate Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.