[SOLVED] Is server DDR3 same as desktop DDR3?

Apr 7, 2020
Hi

I asked this yesterday on another forum, 130 views but no answer (same as last time). I had more luck on this forum with my previous question so here goes...

I have this Fujitsu Primergy TX100 S3 server here. I picked it up at a car boot sale in unknown condition.

When I got it the PC was completely dead and the PSU was not working. As these PSUs are not standard (do not have an ATX connector), and they are seem to be as rare, and indeed expensive, as hens teeth, I decided to look at the PSU. It had a blown driver IC and burnt out resistor on the 5V standby supply rail (like many ATX it has a separate low power switch mode supply for standby)

So I fitted a replacement TNY277 chip, replaced the resistor, and the PSU is working again just fine.

However the computer gives a single repeating beep as soon as it is powered on, this is the same regardless if I have RAM fitted or not. I tried a pair of DDR3 in the slots specified in the user manual, and then I tried all the DDR3 I have here, 11 different dimms of various makes/capacity in single channel mode in slot A1 as it says in the manual, but it still beeps no matter which RAM I fit.

Before I get the motherboard out and start checking for Vram voltage or other prblems, I am just wondering if i actually have a fault at all - or if this needs some different type of DDR3 as it is a server. It would be unusual to have two unrelated faults on the same PC and I alerady fixed the dead PSU.

Google says I need this RAM memory dot net/product-category/fujitsu/primergy/tx100-s3/
Ids there anything special about that?

As I had this server sitting on one side for a while when I was waiting for parts from aliexpress, I can't honestly remember if it had any RAM fitted when I got it.

Reactions: SamirD