[SOLVED] Is she finally dead?

PinkPunisher

Reputable
May 26, 2016
Hi all, I think the time is finally coming that I consider either bringing this girl to fresher meadows with upgrades or simply retiring it all together. I'm fairly confident it wouldn't be worthwhile to upgrade vs building a new rig but would just like confirmation as I've been mostly out of the PC building scene since building this original system a little over 7 years ago. I replaced my original GPU a few years ago with a RX480 8gb before they spiked in price fortunately and had considered that to be the only real worthwhile upgrade at the time. Anyways, is she dead?

i5-3570K
Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
MSI Z77A-GD55
8.00 GB Corsair Vengence 1600
Sapphire RX 480 8GB
XFX 650W PRO
60GB SSD for OS
2 TB HDDs

Solution
Yeah, time to move on. Only reasonable upgrades at this point would be to an i7-3770k and adding some memory. GPU can always be faster, but depending on your screen resolution and target games, that may be pointless. (I would only consider this if you can find a 3770k quite inexpensively, it will be an improvement for more recently made games)

Best question to ask yourself. What is the machine incapable of doing that you want it to do?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, time to move on. Only reasonable upgrades at this point would be to an i7-3770k and adding some memory. GPU can always be faster, but depending on your screen resolution and target games, that may be pointless. (I would only consider this if you can find a 3770k quite inexpensively, it will be an improvement for more recently made games)

Best question to ask yourself. What is the machine incapable of doing that you want it to do?

Reactions: PinkPunisher
Solution

PinkPunisher

Reputable
May 26, 2016
That is a very valid point, I suppose really its just lacking in the punch to handle some games I play once I start getting into the later stages of the games. Games like Civ IV and TW Warhammer 2 are some of the worst for it for me. I run it all on a Vizio 50" 4k but normally need to go to a lower res when actually playing games. To be honest I'm surprised it handles the 4k I'm asking of it at all lol I would consider another GPU upgrade but I fear I'd be more bottlenecked then any money spent would be worthwhile really.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, 4K is mostly a GPU burden, so you might be able to increase your resolution and settings with a better GPU. But, yeah, games like Civ and RTS titles are usually pretty reliant on CPU performance.

Something like a Ryzen 2600 would more than match the single core performance but take you from 4 threads to 12, and it is relatively cheap (cheaper than you can get a 3770k for probably) but you would need a motherboard and new memory to go along with it. Still just barely over $200. Or you could go straight for a Ryzen 3600 or Ryzen 2700X (which is a decent deal right now).

As to GPU, budget is your only limit really. PSU should be good for any single GPU on the market.

Reactions: PinkPunisher

PinkPunisher

Reputable
May 26, 2016
Do you think a RX5700XT would handle 4k well enough? The only other game I can think of that I play would be playing much would be MHW if that changes anything. If I'm spending that much on the GPU should I really be looking at Nvidia's Ray Tracing inclusive options? How low on the AMD tier could I go without bottlenecking the 5700XT and making the GPU splurge redundant you think? Thanks so much for the help so far by that way!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Do you think a RX5700XT would handle 4k well enough? The only other game I can think of that I play would be playing much would be MHW if that changes anything. If I'm spending that much on the GPU should I really be looking at Nvidia's Ray Tracing inclusive options? How low on the AMD tier could I go without bottlenecking the 5700XT and making the GPU splurge redundant you think? Thanks so much for the help so far by that way!

I see no reason to go lower than the 2600, it is just over $100 usually, $60 B450 motherboard, and 16GB of DDR4 3000Mhz. Next step down would be the 2200G or 3200G, but they have onboard graphics you would not be using. Pretty much where the Ryzen low end stops. I think they realized there wasn't a huge market below that price point, only the 1st gen Ryzen chips sitting there now. They recently released a 3000G $50 Athlon though. Better than the previous 200 series parts, and cheaper.

At 4K you aren't going to see much in the way of CPU bottlenecks if you crank up the graphics settings, which is what you would want to do to avoid bottlenecks. Once the CPU reaches its frame limit and you still have GPU left over, crank it. Though at 4K, it is very likely the GPU will reach 100% first.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the game. Just having the extra two cores will make a big difference in any more recent titles.

Ryzen 1000 was favorably compared to Haswell, 2000, wasn't a huge improvement, but it would still be something like 20-25% better IPC overall compared to Ivy. But if the 3600 is in budget, absolutely, basically on par with any locked Intel i7 CPU, only Intel's clock speed advantage is a help to games at this point.