is "sit-up" or "push-up" the best way to reduce fat waist?

brannsiu

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
I have a fat waist, almost getting 42" while I am only 174cm tall and 69 kg.
I look thin, most fat of my body are accumulated in the belly, I seriously think
I need to do something.

Is "sit-up" or "push-up" the best way to reduce belly fat?

Corwin65

Admirable
I used to weigh 324 lbs. Only way to fix was a lifestyle change. Diets do not work cause they are temporary. Exercise alone will not work.

Changing what you eat for the rest of your life works. I got down to 180 at my lowest and now reside happily between 182 and 188. I can actually see stomach muscles and ribs and it makes my day. I did no exercise.

I ate grilled chicken and salad breakfast lunch and dinner. Now I eat less, and can eat what I want within reason but try to get in at least one salad a day. the chicken can be substituted for the protein of your choice, and mix up what kind of greens and ingredients of your salad.

Not telling anyone what to do, I just know what worked for me, and for others.

ADingoAteMyBaby

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
A mix between jogging/running, diet, and crunches sounds like the way to go. You aren't going to lose or keep the weight off by just doing one thing.

Corwin65

Admirable

I beg to differ. No exercise, diet change, not diet, weight has been off for years.

ADingoAteMyBaby

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016

I'm confused. You previously posted you changed the way you ate, that's considered a diet change.

Changing your diet is not going to do anything if you're not working off more calories than your intake unless you become bulimic. I can't sit on my recliner all day and eat salads and think i'm going to see much difference.

Claiming you're 180+ without telling us how tall you are or your BMI and saying you just lost it without doing anything sounds like a stretch and goes against science. You must be eating bread crumbs a day. My guess is your either employed at a job that calls for strenuous activity, you lied, you actually work out, or you're hardly eating anything.

Corwin65

Admirable
I was clear in my original statement. I changed my diet.

Salad and a protein (chicken, beef, etc). It was a lifestyle change. Cut back drastically on my carbs.

And I’m 5’8.

Like I said it worked for me.

to the thread starter...start with cutting out soda...just a few cans can put you over the 2000 cal a day most people need. be care full of sugar free...apsirteen (sp). to much can make you sick. if you have a local y use there lap pool. less stress on body parts. see if your insurance or local health club has a trainer that can set up a program for you. if you want to lose weight...keep off the pc and game conslo....try getting into hobbies like paintball or other sports.

ADingoAteMyBaby

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016

5-8 and you weigh over 180 which equals a 27+ BMI and is considered overweight. As long as your ok with the way you look that's fine but doing what I suggested would make you lose more faster, get toned, and make you healthier along with your diet.

Feb 25, 2018

I've just recently lost 77 pounds (~35kg), and throughout the two years I did it, I often thought..."Man, I need to target my gut and pelvis as they seem to house the most fat on my body. I searched high and low and asked online for answers, and the only answer I kept finding was just to do cardio. There's no specific workout that'll target any specific area of fat. It's unfortunate, but it's true.

That said, you can do sit-ups, push-ups, planks, and more for strength training. This will help to tone those areas because you're building muscle, but you'll also put on a bit of weight (muscle mass weights more than fat, so even if you lose fat, your scale might say you gained).

The best I can tell you is to go hardcore into cardio. Get a cheap exercise bike (I found one on eBay for $120) or just go walking for 20 mins a day. For me, I can get a mile in a minute and burn about 200-300 calories depending on my pace.

That's another aspect of losing weight and everything: calorie counting. If you've got a belly, chances are you're consuming too many calories. I recommend trying something like MyFitnessPal to keep an eye on your caloric intake. It was really the only way I could lose weight. Once I started watching calories and doing cardio regularly, weight just melted off. It took two years (because I'm lazy and am not as consistent in working out as I tried to make it sound), but it came off and it's still coming off.

You just have to adjust your lifestyle to match your awareness of your weight, and you have to be dedicated and know without a doubt that you want to lose the weight more than anything. If I can do it, you can do it. Honestly, you're a couple inches taller than me and 152 lbs (69kg) isn't too awful bad. Just adjust a few minor things, and you should see that belly disappear pretty quickly. Goodluck!

Karadjgne

Titan
Herald
Talk to a doctor.

Your diet (what you eat) is quite different from A diet (temporary change in foods). Some ppl respond better to high protein (@70g a day) and low carb, some don't and can have issues. Some ppl respond to smaller portions (@8oz total), some respond better to a combination of exercise and low calories.

Talk to a doctor.

You'll need a diet that fits you, not one from the TV or multiple opinions, because it'll affect your cholesterol, calorific intake, digestion, heart, blood sugar levels etc in ways you won't know about until something goes wrong.

You'll also need a support system in place when you start, like me when I had to dish out my wife's portions and snatch her plate before she could go back for seconds of favorite meals.

ASK THE COMMUNITY