Is size of a motherboard important?

Dec 25, 2018
For a gaming pc, which size of the motherboard should i go with
ATX , Micro ATX, Mini ATX?
Does it really matter which size i go for?
Is an ATX motherboard an overkill since i am gonna use a single gpu or at the most two while the ATX motherboard provides multiple PCI-E slots?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
ATX motherboards are *generally* better for overclocking and frequently have a richer feature set (including more PCIE slots typically). You should look at a spec list for an ATX motherboard you're interested in and compare it to a mATX and see if there are missing features in the latter that are present in the former that are important to you. It also depends on the form factor you're going for.

Dec 25, 2018
Well I'm stuck between two motherboards of the same AM4 socket type- Msi B450 Gaming Plus.
Both of them have mostly the same slots I need and both with 4 DIMM slots. The only difference is the size and the fact that the ATX version has 3-4 PCI-E slots while the Micro ATX one has 2 PCI-E slots.
I'll mostly be using one GPU and at the most two with crossfire tech.
I'm not going with any specific form factor. I don't actually know the difference or have the experience as to which form factor I should go with. I'm just trying to build a decent PC with great cooling.
Does the form factor really matter in gaming PC builds?