Is SMPS gone bad?

streetglow

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Hi,

I have assembled gaming rig. Lately I have purchased a new monitor as well. When I was choosing an SMPS last year, I wanted to choose corsair, as my old SMPS is a 7 years old 450 volts, which is still working fine. But I forced to choose Cooler Master this time which is 600 - 650 volts, cuz of the stupid shop keeper who kept forcing and convincing me to buy it instead of Corsair, as Corsair was not available in his shop. The very minute I purchased the SMPS and opened, the build quality looked so cheap compared to my old Corsair, even the price was same. I knew I should have gone for 600 - 650 volts Corsair. Apart from that within 6 days of purchase the smps fan started to make noise, so had to take it to the service center, where they provided me replacement with a new one. Exactly 1 year has been passed on the SMPS. Now what I feel is the cooler master SMPS has gone bad again. I have new hardware inside the computer tower (motherboard, mem, gpu), I am afraid I don't want to fry it up! As its just 2 months old hardware. When ever I go to work, I switch of the power button and remove the cable from the wall (a practice which helps me survive monsoon and storms). Today morning I noticed this weird thing. I put the power cable into the sockets, switch on the power socket on the wall. Baaam suddenly the chasis ventilator fan started to rotate, even before the power button on the tower was pressed. So is the SMPS throwing unnecessary power? Is that SMPS gone bad again?

I still have the old Corsair SMPS in spare, but that's only 450 volts. My current cooler master is 600 - 650 volts. Please advice! :??:

CM Tim

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Hi Streetglow,

From your description I guess you currently have a Silent Pro M2 620 Watt. (correct me if I am wrong)
Further more I think that your new system might need more power than the psu can provide.

You can check this either trough this link http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/advance.jsp
or if you want you can post your system specification here and we will check it for you.

Either way we will try and help you figure out the problem!

streetglow

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Hi,

My PSU is: Cooler Master Thunder 600 Watts PSU.

My current PC configuration is:

Cooler Master Thunder 600 Watts PSU
Asus H87- Pro Motherboard
Intel 3.4 GHz LGA1150 4670 i5 4th Generation
Zotac GTX 660 2GB Video card
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB)
Western digital 500 GB Hard disk (old hard disk)
1 Dual layer DVD writer (Asus)
Cooler Master Devastator USB Mouse & Keyboard
XBOX 360 controller
Front 3 1/2 card multiple reader slot
D-Link Wireless LAN card
(Sometimes charge mobile: Samsung S3)

Other things around tower:
AOC i2369Vm Monitor
Belkin Essential Series 3-Socket Surge Protector
Razer Hammer head pro headphones or sometimes I monitor cable (HDMI)

streetglow

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Okay I guess I found where the problem lies, as you know I have new monitor and today is 3rd day of this monitor. Today morning when I came back from work again. I switched on the wall socket of the tower it was acting as it should, then I switched on the Monitor and bham, there was green led chasis fan spinning for few seconds again. So I noticed that I am using an HDMI cable from Monitor to my GPU, as that is the only connection between tower and monitor. So I removed it HDMI and now using the dvi converter/adapter for a dsub cable (old school)... So no more fan spinning when powered on the wall socket, even the tower is off!!!
:bounce: