[SOLVED] Is software support important for an SSD?

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
Hi there,

I was reading a comparison between Samsung 860 EVO vs SK Hynix Gold S31 and a couple times it gets mentioned as a disadvantage that the SK Hynix lacks supporting software.

So what kind of supporting software should someone be looking for when buying an SSD? I'm assuming the writer doesn't mean support with third party software?

I only have one SSD that I bought back in 2013 I think (whenever Tiger Direct belly'd up in Canada) as my main drive and I wanted to start replacing my incredibly slow back up hard drives (x3) with SSDs now that they're much more affordable at larger capacity, and transfer all the files over. The software support has me confused though.

Solution
Diagnostics and performance benchmarks. Not critical, but nice to have.
Samsung Magician
Crucial Storage Executive
Kingston SSD Toolkit (or whatever they call it now)

If you're going to clone/migrate, Samsung Data Migration for Samsung drive, Macrium Reflect for all others.

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
The software that can come with SSDs is usually data migration software...benchmark software.....diagnostic software etc and is usually not required.

I've installed quite a few SSDs and never used the software.

Oh okay, well I'm sure I could juse third party applications to mitigate that if I needed to. I haven't used any software either for my Crucial ssd as I didn't even know they came with any lol.

This is good to know, not something I need to be concerned about.

thanks!

Oh okay, well I'm sure I could juse third party applications to mitigate that if I needed to. I haven't used any software either for my Crucial ssd as I didn't even know they came with any lol.

This is good to know, not something I need to be concerned about.

thanks!
You're welcome. When I installed the first few SSDs....I didn't even know software existed either.

I installed this recently with no software.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078DPCY3T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USAFRet

Titan
Samsung Magician

If you're going to clone/migrate, Samsung Data Migration for Samsung drive, Macrium Reflect for all others.

Reactions: Umeed
Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Samsung Magician

One thing manufacturer software provides is firmware update capabilities. That is worthwhile, IMO.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
The software that can come with SSDs is usually data migration software...benchmark software.....diagnostic software etc and is usually not required.

I've installed quite a few SSDs and never used the software.
Yes yes especially Samsung comes with Data Migration software to put your HDD on your SSD and make it boot right up. As for software as the chap said up above no reason to really use it only in certain cases. Its just sorta bloatware in a way. A SSD works off the bat and you don't need no drivers and Samsung for example releases driver packages but there is no point to install it as all your asking for is headaches. So your good to go. Any further queries let us know.✝🎗🤷‍♀️✌