Is someone using my internet?

Krokzter

Reputable
Sep 13, 2016
I checked my Wifi Web Interface and someone was using the internet with an Android.
I asked everybody else who lives with me if someone was using it but no one claimed to have been.
Is there a way to find what phone it is through Android ID?
Example: android-99cceb0ad6b3be9d

Solution
Its hard to tell who it may be if they dont have their host name set to something personal. I suggest just changing the networks password, which will make it so any devices will need to re enter the proper password to use your network.

Ethanh100

Honorable
Its hard to tell who it may be if they dont have their host name set to something personal. I suggest just changing the networks password, which will make it so any devices will need to re enter the proper password to use your network.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Many router will show "phantom" devices that attempt to connect to the WIFI but don't authenticate and get an IP address. IF that device got an IP address, then, the best thing to do is make sure you are using WPA2 encryption and change the password to a strong password.

Krokzter

Reputable
Sep 13, 2016
I've also noticed ethport3 is being used (but not by any of the habitants) that we are aware of, could someone be using our internet before we receive it?

Krokzter

Reputable
Sep 13, 2016
Thought so but I didn't think it ran in the same wire, thanks for clearing it up anyway ;)
About the unknown device I mgiht just block it since no one is saying it theirs.

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
All you need to do to secure the wifi is set the encryption to WPA2-AES and use a long password of random characters. If members of your house give it out to friends that need wifi, just change it when you feel the need. With strong encryption, you can be assured those phantom devices aren't accessing your network.

Krokzter

Reputable
Sep 13, 2016

Is there any downside or anything else needed to do that?

kanewolf

Titan
There is no downside to what @Pooneil recommends, other than having to type a new password into every WIFI device. 10 or 12 character (a recommended length) with upper, lower, numeric and special characters (also recommended) can be a hassle to input into a media player or other device where you have to use the remote to enter text.

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
You don't have to be paranoid to disable WPS. It is insecure, that is, the methods needed to break it are well known and not too difficult to do. Disabling it should have been mentioned earlier as a standard precaution.