[SOLVED] Is something bottlenecking here?

Benjamin_77

Reputable
Mar 26, 2017
System
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
RAM: 2x8gb Ballistix Sport 2400mHz
MOBO: MSI B350 Tomahawk
Monitors: 1080p 144hz (primary) 1080p 60hz (secondary)

Hi there,

I recently upgraded to a 144hz on my primary monitor. Since doing so, my PC will run the games I want to play at a perfect 144fps (when capped) most of the time. However, occasionally the game will look to me as if it is dropping frames, maybe to around 40 frames, yet the in game fps counters show no sign of lowering the fps at all. This happens all the time when I try to watch a video/stream or even open Twitter on my seconday monitor. I have had task manager open when playing these games to check if anything is running at 100%, and nothing was. Nothing even got above 60% most of the time. I did try a replacement monitor incase that was the issue, but I encounter the same issues regardless.

Anyone have any idea what could be happening?
Ben

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU in the build. As for the motherboard, what BIOS version are you on at the time of writing? Make and models of both monitors and how they're tethered to your GPU? What OS version are you on(assuming you're on Windows 10 and not on Windows 11)? You're actually loosing out on performance by having a DDR2400MHz ram kit while on a RyZen platform. you should've looked into a DDR4-3200MHz dual channel ram kit to help bring out the most of your investments, since RyZen like faster ram.

Benjamin_77

Reputable
Mar 26, 2017
You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU in the build. As for the motherboard, what BIOS version are you on at the time of writing? Make and models of both monitors and how they're tethered to your GPU? What OS version are you on(assuming you're on Windows 10 and not on Windows 11)? You're actually loosing out on performance by having a DDR2400MHz ram kit while on a RyZen platform. you should've looked into a DDR4-3200MHz dual channel ram kit to help bring out the most of your investments, since RyZen like faster ram.
PSU: Corsair CX550M

Motherboard BIOS:
Version: 7A34v18
Release Date: 2017-09-14

Primary Monitor:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083P6GTWD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
connected via HMDI - HDMI
Secondary Monitor:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-e2270Swdn-Widescreen-Monitor-1920x1080/dp/B016UPDUBO
conncted via DVI - DVI

With the RAM, I was previously told that the motherboard I have did not support RAM above 3000MHz. Is that untrue and I can use 3200MHz?

USAFRet

Titan
Is there any specific type of RAM you recommend for me here? I'd probably stick with 16gb total unless there was a good reason to go above that.
I would start at Crucial.com for specific compatible RAM

Solution

Benjamin_77

Reputable
Mar 26, 2017
Neither the R5-1600 nor the GTX1060 are known as any FPS-generating powerhouses...so it's quite possible that both /either could limit FPS to something noticeably under 144 fps, depending on the game....
Why isn't the ingame fps counter showing any signs of dropping? Surely in this case, the fps counter would show as being low when the screen looks low fps. I just play games that aren't very graphically demanding typically, such as valorant and rocket league.