Is something bottlenecking my Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 2GB?

Maricelo5

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Greetings!
Before i go about my problem, here's my computer specs:

CPU: AMD A8 6600K Quad-Core Processor with 3,9Ghz base clock, overclock-able to 4,2Ghz.
Motherboard: MSI Military Class Mainboard FM2-A55M-E33
RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 - 1600Mhz KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 OC 2GB 1,1Ghz.
HDD:500Gb SATA3 16Mb cache NCQ class Seagate Baracuda 7200

My problem:
I've played games like Battlefield 4, Call Of Duty: Ghosts, Simcity 5, Guild Wars 2, Tomb Raider, Metro: Last Light, Assassin's Creed IV and such..

Everything was fine untill Guild Wars 2 and Metro: Last Light. I'm not sure, but i think that something is bottlenecking my computer, because i'm having some problems running these two games. Once i had a video card AMD Radeon HD 7750 and it was running Guild Wars 2 just fine, i was getting decent 45-52FPS in GW2, even at crowded places and battles, but now with HD 7870 i'm getting crap FPS. It's like 30-45FPS at not crowded places where i'm alone, and where there is other people or i am in the main cities like Divinity's Reach, it drops down to crappy 18-27FPS!
Even if i select auto detect settings for graphics, GW2 sets everything on the highest for me, but the FPS is crap even if everything's on low settings, it gets better only about 5FPS.

Metro is quite the same. I can run it on highest, but always when it gets to places where there's a lot happening it starts lagging. I can complain a bit about Simcity 5, too, because i'm getting about 32-37FPS there.

Anyway, despite these FPS problems with these games, the main thing i'd like to know - is something bottlenecking the GPU or CPU? If so, what could be the best upgrade option not reaching over 140 Euro's?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that, the other games besides these 3 i'm having not the best experience with, are running just fine on Ultra settings!

As well as Crysis 3 is laggy at high settings as well, at least only when i'm at 'large' places where it is needed to stalk out those CELL members and kill them to get further. (At the beginning of the game)

Solution

+1. APU's have weak cores, and are meant for media, not gaming. On the FM2 platform, you may be a bit stuck for upgrades. I suggest grabbing a new motherboard, AM3+, and something like an FX 6300.

+1. APU's have weak cores, and are meant for media, not gaming. On the FM2 platform, you may be a bit stuck for upgrades. I suggest grabbing a new motherboard, AM3+, and something like an FX 6300.

Solution

Maricelo5

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
It's weird and shitty.. I don't get it why there's games which are bottlenecked by my CPU, but the others aren't, like the same Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts - they are running all on ULTRA without lags, all smooth and good.

Anyway, thanks for the answers, will have to consider getting a new mobo with AM3+ and an FX series processor, then!

Try running Battlefield 4 multiplayer on a 64 player on the map. Your CPU will not keep up. Even my I5 is kinda struggling with it in some areas.