Question Is something throttling my download/upload speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowkon626

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016
so for about the last 3 months my download and upload speeds have been absolutely terrible. Regardless of what i download from any site, fire fox download at an average of 800kbps. Uploads are at about 7mbps, they wont go higher or lower. its a consistent 7MBps. this is all on firefox. ive already tried a clean install of firefox and clearing my cookies and cache.

However, my upload and download speeds increase on chrome. my uploads/downloads reach up to 200mbps. however, i pay for 500/500 speeds. even using different programs like Jdownloader or MEGAsynconly get me a fraction of what i was getting a couple of months ago. I would consistently get 500/500 speeds. Megasync is capped at 3MBps and Jdownlaoder never goes over 8MBps. testing my speeds online always seems to show 500/500 speeds

Ive contacted my ISP several times and been assured i am not being throttled by them. could it be some sort of windows problem?

im to the point where im considering doing a fresh install of windows.

Stackimaginable

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Have you tried going to Settings > Network & Internet > Change Connection Properties and setting it as a metered connection? This will mostly stop Windows from sending and receiving data in the background which could be hogging bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.