Is SpeedFan accurate and is my CPU overheating?

Exile1993

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
I'd like to know if my CPU is overheating and if SpeenFan is an accurate program for measuring temps. I have an i5-2500k@stock (3.3GHz) with the stock CPU cooler on it and a Thermaltake v9 case. The side fan recently broke so I closed off the holes on the side and currently have the top and back fan running. This is however a temporary solution and I plan to get a new case in about a month if it is safe to run the system like this that long. I'm also going to get a 7970 soon will it be ok in this case until I get a new one as well?

My CPU and case fans are set to turbo to try and compensate for the lost side fan.

SpeedFan reads:
(Idle Temps)
System: 26C
CPU: 84C
AUX: 63C,
SMIOVT4-6: 26C
GPU: 45C

Bios reads:45C at startup

I apologize if this is the wrong section to post in and thanks for your time.

Solution
According to the other temperature reading programs there is no issue. Although I think your reading Realtemp wrong. Thats not max temps its listing, its distance to TJ max. But regardless your idle temps are fine in the 30s.

In regards to your side fan. What to do with the location and how to use it all depends on what type of airflow you have and what your trying to accomplish. I typically don't recommend or use side fans. It's a personal choice. So its up to you what you want to do with it. It may yield slightly lower temps if used as intake which may or may not be worth it to you. It also may lower the system noise if you seal it up which may or may not matter to you. Again, up to you.

skaz

Distinguished
To eliminate a tempature reading program from giving you a false reading its best to use a few different programs. I would run HWmonitor and Realtemp. Compare all your CPU temperatures to find the closest accurate reading. An idle temperature of 84c is way to high.

Having no side fan is fine. Side fans are usually the last thing I recommend using when setting up fan airflow. So not having one isn't going to harm anything.

HWMonitor -> http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
RealTemp -> http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Exile1993

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

Is it the best solution to close off the side so no air escapes out the side and instead escapes out the back or leave it open so air can pass through the side?

Real Temp

Minimum

33C 37C 35C 37C

Maximum

44C 48C 48C 49C

Thermal Status

Ok Ok Ok Ok
------------------------
CPUID

Each core ranges from 35C min to 48C max

Package: 40C(min) 48C (max)

CPUTIN: 52C (min) 84C (max)

My CPU load hasn't went above 30%.

If this is a real issue what would be a good cpu heatsink and case to get and which would I need to get sooner (Note: There isn't much room in case due to lack of cable management options.)

Thanks for the reply

skaz

Distinguished
According to the other temperature reading programs there is no issue. Although I think your reading Realtemp wrong. Thats not max temps its listing, its distance to TJ max. But regardless your idle temps are fine in the 30s.

In regards to your side fan. What to do with the location and how to use it all depends on what type of airflow you have and what your trying to accomplish. I typically don't recommend or use side fans. It's a personal choice. So its up to you what you want to do with it. It may yield slightly lower temps if used as intake which may or may not be worth it to you. It also may lower the system noise if you seal it up which may or may not matter to you. Again, up to you.

Reactions: awnetty
Solution

Exile1993

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

Thank you for your help, I apologize for my inexperience regarding the programs.