[SOLVED] Is still beneficial to have a high end gpu when using a 4k tv as monitor?

bruvvamoff

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
I'm building a pc for playing games on the TV. Does that effect which gpu I should get? I think it's 60hz but what if it can go higher? This is assuming the game is on the best quality settings and 4k resolution

Solution
Depends a lot on the type of game you intend to play. If the latest AAA games then only a top end gpu is enough.

For gaming I’d pick a 1440p 144Hz monitor over a 4K TV. Have you looked up the input lag of your 4K TV? Some TV’s have horrible input lag making them bad for gaming.
Depends a lot on the type of game you intend to play. If the latest AAA games then only a top end gpu is enough.

For gaming I’d pick a 1440p 144Hz monitor over a 4K TV. Have you looked up the input lag of your 4K TV? Some TV’s have horrible input lag making them bad for gaming.

Solution

bruvvamoff

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
I'm a bit out of touch but even I know you don't need the latest most expensive gpu to run 4k at 60hz.
Only high end graphics cards are capable enough to be used for 4k gaming.
You'd be looking at GTX 1080 ti, RTX 2080, RTX 2080 Super and RTX 2080 Ti.
Anything less than that generally is too weak for 4k gaming.

It's as tho you Googled the 4 most popular cards. They are good but certainly not the only options. I've read all the top tens like everyone else. My question is, does it make a difference between 4k 60fps TV or 4k 60fps monitor? Given the refresh rate limitations of a TV, is there any point in getting the best gpu?

I'm a bit out of touch but even I know you don't need the latest most expensive gpu to run 4k at 60hz.

It's as tho you Googled the 4 most popular cards. They are good but certainly not the only options. I've read all the top tens like everyone else. My question is, does it make a difference between 4k 60fps TV or 4k 60fps monitor? Given the refresh rate limitations of a TV, is there any point in getting the best gpu?

You need a high end card to run games at 4k properly. If you just want to play movies or view documents at 4k then you don't need a good gaming card, but only the top few tiers will be able to run games in 4k unless you are OK with low frame rates and it goes especially if you want to play at "best quality" like in your first post. For high quality at 4k to have a stable 60 fps you will need the best video card out there. 4k TV or 4k Monitor is the same thing, they both have the same number of pixels.

Reactions: mortemas