Is studying psychology necessary for artificial intelligence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on how you define intelligence.
If you are trying to replicate something that possess a personality or complex/ethical decision making, then yeah.
Or
If you just need something with enough intelligence to pick the right tool to apply to the job (think automated CNC machine), then no.

Ralston18

Titan
I will say yes following along with @bignastyid 's post.

If your AI code is truly patterning human brain behavior and something is not right then being able to compare expressed behavior to expected behavior would be a debugging methodology.

I think Spock would be fascinated. :)

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
My daughter did a degree in AI at university (In the UK) and it did not require any psychology studies to be accepted for the course,is that what you mean ?
She did however do a Phd in psychology afterwards.

Sep 23, 2020
I don't think AI will ever become sentient.
As humans we don't really understand our own nature. We get hungry, thirsty, horny, sleepy, we're territorial, ideological, we need a sense of purpose/life direction, we feel fear, you can go on and on and on. There's more to us than simply "thinking" which is all AI is.

I don't think AI will ever become sentient.
As humans we don't really understand our own nature. We get hungry, thirsty, horny, sleepy, we're territorial, ideological, we need a sense of purpose/life direction, we feel fear, you can go on and on and on. There's more to us than simply "thinking" which is all AI is.
All of the things you are listing are just reactions to external or internal stimuli, that's what's easy to do in AI.Power below x% = get more power by eating drinking or sleeping.Others taking away your means of survival=make sure they stop.And so on.

The thinking part is the hard stuff because that's not a reaction to something that is actually there,thinking is something that will take a very long time for AI.

Reactions: insanpsikolojisi
Status
Not open for further replies.