Status
Not open for further replies.

defrons

Commendable
Nov 23, 2020
Please keep it to 1 thread
Im planning on building a PC with Ryzen 5 3600 and wait for GTX 3060 Ti to come out, I already buy the PSU which is Super flower Leadex III 550W.
Is it enough to run my build?
The complete build kind a like this

Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 3200 Mhz
Team GX2 512 SSD
Stock cooler
Dark Flash DLX22 with 5 fan.

Solution
I tested the link that you give, turns out even using the 3070 card will just need 480W or something, so I assume I will be fine?
Your fine if you look at my post above you will see it overestimates the total watts by 90 on my system from what it tells me to what I actually use during a full system stress test (maxing out my power draw) not just gaming.

You have had everybody with experience tell you your fine and one person tell you no.

defrons

Commendable
Nov 23, 2020
I plan to build my system and bought some of the parts first, I already have

MSI B550 MPG Gaming Plus
Super Flower Leadex III 550W
Corsair LPX 8x2 3200 MHz
Team GX2 512GB SSD

Im thinking about getting Ryzen 5 as my processor and 3060Ti for the GPU, will this PSU enough or do I need to change to 650W one? Please help.

Lakhbir Singh

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
Im planning on building a PC with Ryzen 5 3600 and wait for GTX 3060 Ti to come out, I already buy the PSU which is Super flower Leadex III 550W.
Is it enough to run my build?
The complete build kind a like this

Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 3200 Mhz
Team GX2 512 SSD
Stock cooler
Dark Flash DLX22 with 5 fan.

Nope that's not sufficient .....because you forgot to mention about some USB/Optical (DVD-RW) devices.....extra 120mm fan or 1 more SSD/HDD .....etc.Plz calculate exact/expert requirement using this link

I hope you will get around to 586 Watts........hence I would like to suggest you to go for atleast 650 Watt .......although 700 Watt PSU will be the best......for your needs considering the fact that all PSUs are not 100% power efficient.

Nope that's not sufficient .....because you forgot to mention about some USB/Optical (DVD-RW) devices.....extra 120mm fan or 1 more SSD/HDD .....etc.Plz calculate exact/expert requirement using this link

I hope you will get around to 586 Watts........hence I would like to suggest you to go for atleast 650 Watt .......although 700 Watt PSU will be the best......for your needs considering the fact that all PSUs are not 100% power efficient.
It won’t get anywhere near 586w. I’m running an RTX3080 with 3700x (PBO on), 6 fans and various RGB and USB devices. Under stress testing the whole system peaks at 546w at the wall so actual system usage is slightly lower.

Lakhbir Singh

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
It won’t get anywhere near 586w. I’m running an RTX3080 with 3700x (PBO on), 6 fans and various RGB and USB devices. Under stress testing the whole system peaks at 546w at the wall so actual system usage is slightly lower.

Hmmm, my guess was close......all bronze,silver or gold certified PSUs are around 85-90% efficient ......tom's hardware has a beautiful graph explaining it (seen long time back) ........or you can check a small article here.

Hence 650 watt is best for you....extra 25-50 watt will not hamper performance in any way...plus you will be on the safe side..........if suppose with that card you wish to mine (sort of stress test) some coins (24x7) for few days.

Hmmm, my guess was close......all bronze,silver or gold certified PSUs are around 85-90% efficient ......tom's hardware has a beautiful graph explaining it (seen long time back) ........or you can check a small article here.

Hence 650 watt is best for you....extra 25-50 watt will not hamper performance in any way...plus you will be on the safe side..........if suppose with that card you wish to mine (sort of stress test) some coins (24x7) for few days.
Efficiency has nothing to do with wattage required. For a gaming PC you ideally want at least 20% headroom over the maximum load for the system. The OP's 550w is plenty. The 3060Ti with overclock was hitting 227w, taken from Toms review Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition Review: Ampere for Only $399 | Tom's Hardware

So if we say 240w for gpu to give extra headroom, a cpu that with PBO on takes under 80w and the rest of the system shouldn't go over 50w but let's say 100w to build in extra headroom. The OP's system is not going to take more than 420w with my over estimates, in reality its unlikely to take over 370w. The OP has a high quality 550w, it is more than enough.

Reactions: 4745454b

Lakhbir Singh

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
Efficiency has nothing to do with wattage required. For a gaming PC you ideally want at least 20% headroom over the maximum load for the system. The OP's 550w is plenty. The 3060Ti with overclock was hitting 227w, taken from Toms review Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition Review: Ampere for Only $399 | Tom's Hardware

So if we say 240w for gpu to give extra headroom, a cpu that with PBO on takes under 80w and the rest of the system shouldn't go over 50w but let's say 100w to build in extra headroom. The OP's system is not going to take more than 420w with my over estimates, in reality its unlikely to take over 370w. The OP has a high quality 550w, it is more than enough.

I never said that "Efficiency has to do something with wattage required" ....but it certainly has to do something with your electricity bills (specially if you plan to use it for mining etc.) ............and why you will be on the safe side? I don't wish to get into arguments .....but certainly there are sometimes rare chances of a component drawing more power (due to shorting/malfunction etc, ) ....hence your PSU will be on the safe side in such situations.

defrons

Commendable
Nov 23, 2020
They've being conservative. It's a 200W GPU and even an overclocked version will still leave you with plenty of headroom.
Ah, so I will be fine? Dont have much knowledge about this thing.

Im not using any optical drive and will be using 5 120mm fan. Im not going to mine with this, just using it to play some game tho

defrons

Commendable
Nov 23, 2020

So I can go ahead and buy the rest of the parts then? I panicked as soon as I see then 650W recommended PSU, thinking that Im doomed. Lol

defrons

Commendable
Nov 23, 2020

I tested the link that you give, turns out even using the 3070 card will just need 480W or something, so I assume I will be fine?

Lakhbir Singh

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
So I can go ahead and buy the rest of the parts then? I panicked as soon as I see then 650W recommended PSU, thinking that Im doomed. Lol
Nope you are not doomed ......price of 650 watts is just 10 dollars more than 550 of same company and model .....plus you can rely on it's OPP (over power protection) ....personally i don't want to rely on it's protection capabilities even if it is rare......or some benchmarks results (which can be biased or protection capability not thoroughly checked) plus user has not clearly mentioned full hardware specs or system's primary usage.......mining attracts bills .....all factors have to be considered ....and to be on safe side ......little more wattage always helps ......rather if user suddenly forgets about it's usage (based on PSU) ....starts adding components later or starts mining or starts stressing it for a long time ....and the PSU/PC gets doomed :)

Last edited:

Lakhbir Singh

Honorable
Nov 1, 2014
They always over state that. They have absolutely no clue what the rest of your PC parts so how could they really say how much you need.

If I have a 225 watt processor and you have a 65 watt processor that is a huge difference.

Original poster was provided with the link to calculate his forgotten components:

" Nope that's not sufficient .....because you forgot to mention about some USB/Optical (DVD-RW) devices.....extra 120mm fan or 1 more SSD/HDD .....etc.Plz calculate exact/expert requirement using this link "

Do you reply just by partially reading the posts? OR do you think that expert page on the link does not mention processor?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Original poster was provided with the link to calculate his forgotten components:

" Nope that's not sufficient .....because you forgot to mention about some USB/Optical (DVD-RW) devices.....extra 120mm fan or 1 more SSD/HDD .....etc.Plz calculate exact/expert requirement using this link "

Do you reply just by partially reading the posts? OR do you think that expert page on the link does not mention processor?
Those calculators are garbage. I read the post I skip over advise that is not relevant to the question.

I also answered the exact question I posted to. This was the quote that I posted to. Even with the recommended psu being 650?

Also the PSU he already has is plenty of power.

EDIT I tried the link it missed my power draw from the wall by 80 Watts during a full system stress test using a gold rated PSU so it missed the actual power draw by about 90 Watts over. PCparts picker was fairly close but my CPU overclock it doesn't account for and also don't have my RGB, extra fans, gaming keyboard, mouse listed in my parts list.. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FNdkNq

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Your fine if you look at my post above you will see it overestimates the total watts by 90 on my system from what it tells me to what I actually use during a full system stress test (maxing out my power draw) not just gaming.

You have had everybody with experience tell you your fine and one person tell you no.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.