Question Is technical isopropyl alcohol 90% a bad option to clean off thermal paste from the CPU

klonjack

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
Okay another thread regarding this topic.
So in my country(Bulgaria for those bold enough to be curious) you literally can't get isopropyl alcohol be at 70% or a pure 99.9%.
And our rubbing alcohol is literally ethanol so don't bother suggesting that.
there was only 1 place I found it and it was at a hardware store imported from poland(some will care how I managed to get it).
Anyway before I go and clean my cpu i did some digging and saw that it was okay until I saw someone say that "technical isopropyl alcohol shouldn't be used to clean thermal paste off of a cpu".
I don't remember the exact quote so I paraphrased a bit.
Anyway if technical isopropyl alcohol shouldn't be used for cleaning off thermal paste from CPU then can anyone explain why please?
Also if I were to use it, would it leave residue?<-------If the answer to that is yes then can I prevent residue from forming or remove it or something?
Also these are my alternatives if people ask: ethanol 96,6% and nail polish remover.

PS: IF YOU REFUSE TO BELIEVE MY STATEMENT ABOUT ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL PLEASE ALL MEANS PAY ME A VISIT AND PROVE ME WRONG.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I found a section of this article to be poignant:

Is Technical Grade Alcohol Safe? - Safe Uses of Product (ecolink.com)

The reason someone would suggest not to use 70% is due to the water content. IMO, even using that should be perfectly fine so long as you also consider blowing/drying the component well before use in order to be completely sure no water residue is left behind.

It appears that the technical grade is commonly used for cleaning, and at the higher percentage would leave less water behind.

In my own case, I have purchased "special" two part products to clean CPU all the way to using a rag or paper towel and a toothpick. I see no reason to overthink the situation just so long as you make allowances for what is being used.

klonjack

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
I found a section of this article to be poignant:

Is Technical Grade Alcohol Safe? - Safe Uses of Product (ecolink.com)

The reason someone would suggest not to use 70% is due to the water content. IMO, even using that should be perfectly fine so long as you also consider blowing/drying the component well before use in order to be completely sure no water residue is left behind.

It appears that the technical grade is commonly used for cleaning, and at the higher percentage would leave less water behind.

In my own case, I have purchased "special" two part products to clean CPU all the way to using a rag or paper towel and a toothpick. I see no reason to overthink the situation just so long as you make allowances for what is being used.
Not aiming to be a stuck up jerk but that's technical alcohol.
Which could mean ethanol or denatured alcohol etc.
But okay even if I were to take your and that articles word for it?
Was there any truth to what the guy I paraphrased said or was it just fake info?

USAFRet

Titan
Anyway before I go and clean my cpu i did some digging and saw that it was okay until I saw someone say that "technical isopropyl alcohol shouldn't be used to clean thermal paste off of a cpu".
What reasoning did he give for this statement?

People say a lot of things. Often false or misguided.
The only ones that really count are those that can be backed up.

Okay another thread regarding this topic.
So in my country(Bulgaria for those bold enough to be curious) you literally can't get isopropyl alcohol be at 70% or a pure 99.9%.
And our rubbing alcohol is literally ethanol so don't bother suggesting that.
there was only 1 place I found it and it was at a hardware store imported from poland(some will care how I managed to get it).
I don't remember the exact quote so I paraphrased a bit.
Anyway if technical isopropyl alcohol shouldn't be used for cleaning off thermal paste from CPU then can anyone explain why please?
Also if I were to use it, would it leave residue?<-------If the answer to that is yes then can I prevent residue from forming or remove it or something?
Also these are my alternatives if people ask: ethanol 96,6% and nail polish remover.

PS: IF YOU REFUSE TO BELIEVE MY STATEMENT ABOUT ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL PLEASE ALL MEANS PAY ME A VISIT AND PROVE ME WRONG.
70% iso contains stuff to keep the skin from drying.
Might be best not to use that for cleaning the cpu.
Leaves a residue behind.

90% iso does not contain that stuff so it should be good for cleaning the cpu.
Does not leave a residue behind.

If you can find 99% iso should be better but may not be needed.

USAFRet

Titan
70% iso contains stuff to keep the skin from drying.
Might be best not to use that for cleaning the cpu.
Leaves a residue behind.

90% iso does not contain that stuff so it should be good for cleaning the cpu.
Does not leave a residue behind.

If you can find 99% iso should be better but may not be needed.
The bottle should list the specific ingredients.
Water, iso alcohol.
If there is "other stuff", evaluate accordingly.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not aiming to be a stuck up jerk but that's technical alcohol.
Which could mean ethanol or denatured alcohol etc.
But okay even if I were to take your and that articles word for it?
Was there any truth to what the guy I paraphrased said or was it just fake info?

You said Technical ISOPROPYL Alcohol. You didn't say Technical Ethanol.

Did you bother to read the link, or are you just looking to be argumentative and confrontational?

So I wondered what the heck "Technical" even meant. Well, found this: https://ecolink.com/info/what-does-technical-grade-alcohol-mean/

In the bottom it says:
Simply put, technical grade alcohol is isopropyl alcohol that may contain impurities, making it not suitable for food or pharmaceuticals, but perfectly fine for cleaning, degreasing, and other non-food production manners

So from this (and sure, it's one source), I can glean that it's probably fine to use technical grade isopropyl alcohol to clean a CPU, as long as the alcohol content itself is high enough that you're not risking water issues. And no, I don't think any trace amount of impurities it may have would be a significant problem. Otherwise we should be applying thermal paste in a clean room.

You're free to show evidence otherwise.

Reactions: klonjack

klonjack

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
You said Technical ISOPROPYL Alcohol. You didn't say Technical Ethanol.

Did you bother to read the link, or are you just looking to be argumentative and confrontational?

Well friend I didn't mean to trigger or offend.Sorry if I did.
Also I guess I missed the isopropyl mentioned at beginning(yeah my bad sorry again)
But looking at the responses I got I guess my paranoia died down
Thanks again :).

klonjack

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
So I wondered what the heck "Technical" even meant. Well, found this: https://ecolink.com/info/what-does-technical-grade-alcohol-mean/

In the bottom it says:

So from this (and sure, it's one source), I can glean that it's probably fine to use technical grade isopropyl alcohol to clean a CPU, as long as the alcohol content itself is high enough that you're not risking water issues. And no, I don't think any trace amount of impurities it may have would be a significant problem. Otherwise we should be applying thermal paste in a clean room.

You're free to show evidence otherwise.

well I did find under the paint mix section.
also thanks to both you and @punkncat.
But a question regarding isopropyl alcohol.
Isn't it dangerous no matter if it has impurities or not?
I recall that ethanol was the only alcohol that can be used for food or drinking.

that question is merely out of curiosity.
Either way I feel sure about this thanks again :)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Isopropyl is no good for internal ingestion. The metabolism of it releases a compound that once it builds up within your system will cause serious problems up to blinding and eventual death. So, don't choose to drink it while cleaning the CPU. Use Bourbon or Vodka, etc. for your own enjoyment.

Reactions: Krotow

klonjack

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
Isopropyl is no good for internal ingestion. The metabolism of it releases a compound that once it builds up within your system will cause serious problems up to blinding and eventual death. So, don't choose to drink it while cleaning the CPU. Use Bourbon or Vodka, etc. for your own enjoyment.
No thanks i'm straight edge.
Thanks for enriching my knowledge though :)

Both technical or medical ethanol are OK for thermal paste removal. Either 90% or 70%. In fact even pure vodka without additives works just fine ;) Only try to avoid getting it inside socket and circuit. And clean excess moisture with paper towel afterwards.

What you clearly must avoid - any hand cleaning tissues and hand sanitizers where ethanol is mixed with soap, softeners and perfumes.

Statistical death rate after isopropyl ingestion is near 45%. One can try, but seriously, it is not worth it. Real fun behind this is that isopropyl internally reduces into acetone and do multiple organ damages. You will feel high a little, but then completely awful till death.

klonjack

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
Yeah I think this topic is resolved.
Thing is I kind of got at least 4 answers that made my fears and paranoia disappear.
So i guess whoever gets 5 points first or however the system works.
Thanks guys :)