[SOLVED] Is that a good pairing? 🤔

ibubu16

Reputable
Feb 22, 2018
Hi,

I come with a bit of a unusual question and first of all I will start off by mentioning the specs just so a person replying will have a better understanding of what the system is.

Mobo: ROG Maximus VI Formula
CPU: i7-4770k
Current GPU: 770 WINDFORCE 3x 2GB
Ram: 16gb 4x4gb of ddr3 Corsair Venegance

I think those listed above should be enough to give me a clear answer, if not please let me know I will add missing bits in.

Just one more thing before you guys read the rest of the thread, I have the 770 because I did upgrade my system and displays thus running my budget dry for a gpu.. 😅

The main question is - would a rx590 Strix 8gb be good for that system? (I have a friend who is selling one for £150 and its been used for less than 6months not OC'd and not used as a mining card just some light gaming etc) , I have checked bottleneck calculator and I know its not 100% accurate but It gives you some idea of what you can expect, the result came back as a very miniscule bottleneck of 0.4%, I need to upgrade the 770 as I just keep running out of vram with some games even trying to run them at low setting eg Tom Clancys series.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Solution
Well, a GTX 1080Ti would give you a heck of a performance boost, buuuuuut in a lot of cases there is no way that the 4770K is going to get the most out of it. The most I'd pair it with is something of the GTX 1070 range, maybe a GTX 1070Ti or 1080.

But, the RX 590 is a good card with great 1080p gaming performance. In my opinion there isn't a better 1080p card. Anything more will have more power than you really need for 1080p and be much better matched for 1440p gaming.
Hi,

I come with a bit of a unusual question and first of all I will start off by mentioning the specs just so a person replying will have a better understanding of what the system is.

Mobo: ROG Maximus VI Formula
CPU: i7-4770k
Current GPU: 770 WINDFORCE 3x 2GB
Ram: 16gb 4x4gb of ddr3 Corsair Venegance

I think those listed above should be enough to give me a clear answer, if not please let me know I will add missing bits in.

Just one more thing before you guys read the rest of the thread, I have the 770 because I did upgrade my system and displays thus running my budget dry for a gpu.. 😅

The main question is - would a rx590 Strix 8gb be good for that system? (I have a friend who is selling one for £150 and its been used for less than 6months not OC'd and not used as a mining card just some light gaming etc) , I have checked bottleneck calculator and I know its not 100% accurate but It gives you some idea of what you can expect, the result came back as a very miniscule bottleneck of 0.4%, I need to upgrade the 770 as I just keep running out of vram with some games even trying to run them at low setting eg Tom Clancys series.

Looking forward to your suggestions.
Should be fine also don’t pay attention to those calculators.

Your CPU will be able to drive an RX 590 to its maximum capability most of the time. It will be a good upgrade from the GTX 770 offering roughly a 68% performance increase... and that is a darn fine price for one. I don't see a reason not to get it.

As for bottleneck calculators, they take a broad average of loads and average those to make their determinations. They will never be accurate to every users specific case, but they can give you a rough idea of hardware pairing. I wouldn't outright ignore them, but certainly don't use them as your only point of research.

ibubu16

Reputable
Feb 22, 2018
Your CPU will be able to drive an RX 590 to its maximum capability most of the time. It will be a good upgrade from the GTX 770 offering roughly a 68% performance increase... and that is a darn fine price for one. I don't see a reason not to get it.

As for bottleneck calculators, they take a broad average of loads and average those to make their determinations. They will never be accurate to every users specific case, but they can give you a rough idea of hardware pairing. I wouldn't outright ignore them, but certainly don't use them as your only point of research.

Ah! Good to know !, like I said I don't take them for granted (bottleneck calculators) but I could not find a decent enough answer that would satisfy me, like I mentioned, I need to upgrade... Today I downloaded Tom Clancys Wildlands and even on Low settings it ran like garbage, I was clearly limited by my GPU that was the breaking point, I was looking for upgrade options and I have found one.

I was looking for at other options and also had a look at 1080ti which I have read would be just fine but that't a bit out of my budget and I don't spend enough time on my pc to justify spending £500-£600 on a gpu, I just want something that will run a game of my choice when I want to game and won't bog down and run at choppy frame rates.

I will definitely post an update once I get the card up and running !

Well, a GTX 1080Ti would give you a heck of a performance boost, buuuuuut in a lot of cases there is no way that the 4770K is going to get the most out of it. The most I'd pair it with is something of the GTX 1070 range, maybe a GTX 1070Ti or 1080.

But, the RX 590 is a good card with great 1080p gaming performance. In my opinion there isn't a better 1080p card. Anything more will have more power than you really need for 1080p and be much better matched for 1440p gaming.

Solution