[SOLVED] is that fan cooling on the back of motherboard side is safe?

Feb 7, 2021
So I'm looking for a PC case that has good airflow and I glanced at this case, it has a fan on the back of the motherboard, and if in theory the wind that is generated will quite reduce the heat of the motherboard from behind, and the fan position is intake

So the question is whether this will be safe to use for the long term?

Because as it is already known where there is a fan there must be dust, the position of this fan is behind the motherboard, automatic for a long time (let's say a month - 3 months) the dust will get in and stick to the back of the motherboard, is it safe for the mother board? later? Since the back of the motherboard itself is full of a part that soldered (picture 3), considering that dust is a very small particle plus the presence of wind friction + dust carried by the fan can generate statistical electricity, will that be dangerous for the motherboard?

ia62tR0.jpg

9WgNpIu.jpg

7a08WGG.jpg

Solution
Wait and see, most fans are set up so they can be removed. Just unscrew it, turn it around, put back in again. Depends how its wired I guess. They don't last forever, and some people might want to use a better fan there

I wouldn't mind different angles on actual case to see how close fan is to back of cpu. the 2nd photo seems to suggest there is the entire mounting area for Motherboard tray to cover most of back of MB, only the cut out area for CPU is going to be exposed to the air anyway - so basically the back plate which is all metal anyway.

its only air, the dust isn't going to damage back of motherboard. It takes more than that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Because as it is already known where there is a fan there must be dust, the position of this fan is behind the motherboard, automatic for a long time (let's say a month - 3 months) the dust will get in and stick to the back of the motherboard, is it safe for the mother board? later? Since the back of the motherboard itself is full of a part that soldered (picture 3), considering that dust is a very small particle plus the presence of wind friction + dust carried by the fan can generate statistical electricity, will that be dangerous for the motherboard?
I think that since rear fan has no filter on it, it has to be an exhaust fan so dust build up shouldn't be a concern as it should blow it all out. Given case only has 2 filters, on front and on bottom, I have to assume that fan is an exhaust - https://gamemaxpc.com/productkkk/1170-en.html

i know there is the standard rear exhaust, I am talking about the extra one. No filter = exhaust only. You only get pre installed exhausts, you will need to add extras if you actually want fresh air in pc.

Curious where it gets its air from, Only 2 fans I see are exhausts. I guess there is a strip of mesh on front... not much, fans will struggle. I guess you can use AIO in roof for cpu but where does GPU get air from? A side mounted fan on front side would make more sense but have to have glass, don't we.... one of best GPU cooling cases of last 11 years has a side mounted intake right in front of gpu, now we have glass we can't do that, can we.

The 2nd query, dust gets in PC anyway regardless of if you have a fan on back or not, so that risk (if it exists) already happens. MY last case had 3 x 180mm fans and I know air flowed behind the Motherboard tray area so it would have been blowing dust etc over back of CPU back then, it worked fine.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021
I think that since rear fan has no filter on it, it has to be an exhaust fan so dust build up shouldn't be a concern as it should blow it all out. Given case only has 2 filters, on front and on bottom, I have to assume that fan is an exhaust - https://gamemaxpc.com/productkkk/1170-en.html

i know there is the standard rear exhaust, I am talking about the extra one. No filter = exhaust only. You only get pre installed exhausts, you will need to add extras if you actually want fresh air in pc.

Curious where it gets its air from, Only 2 fans I see are exhausts. I guess there is a strip of mesh on front... not much, fans will struggle. I guess you can use AIO in roof for cpu but where does GPU get air from? A side mounted fan on front side would make more sense but have to have glass, don't we.... one of best GPU cooling cases of last 11 years has a side mounted intake right in front of gpu, now we have glass we can't do that, can we.

The 2nd query, dust gets in PC anyway regardless of if you have a fan on back or not, so that risk (if it exists) already happens. MY last case had 3 x 180mm fans and I know air flowed behind the Motherboard tray area so it would have been blowing dust etc over back of CPU back then, it worked fine.

but when i see this the air flow is intake
View: https://youtu.be/6ttBJY1RFc8?t=767
(skip 12:47)
the type of case is different but the cooling system fan on back mobo is same and the production is same too from gamemax

so is that still safe for using this fan even is intake air?
even is the dust get some little crowded on back motherboard processor or etc, it won't make any static electric of it cause the friction of the dust that carried from wind?

so it will be fine and safe anyway?

Feb 7, 2021
You could turn fan around so it is exhaust.

You can also buy magnetic dust filters that you could stick on outside of case to fix their oversight.

it doesn't make sense to have an intake so close to an exhaust

i think it can't to turn direction of the airflow
cause the chasis model of fan itself it's already setup like that, can't turn it into exhaust

so if i put magnetic filter on that it will be safe ?
and btw is that the back side of motherboard is really fatal part of motherboard ? because that side is fully of soldered, and back socket processor looks like is very easily to get damaged if i look on the motherboard that i send, that chip looks so prone to take damage

Colif

Win 11 Master
Wait and see, most fans are set up so they can be removed. Just unscrew it, turn it around, put back in again. Depends how its wired I guess. They don't last forever, and some people might want to use a better fan there

I wouldn't mind different angles on actual case to see how close fan is to back of cpu. the 2nd photo seems to suggest there is the entire mounting area for Motherboard tray to cover most of back of MB, only the cut out area for CPU is going to be exposed to the air anyway - so basically the back plate which is all metal anyway.

its only air, the dust isn't going to damage back of motherboard. It takes more than that.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS