[SOLVED] Is the 10850k right for me?

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
Hi guys.

Overview:

I am still trying to put together my build and all I can rely on are reviews and youtube videos, and your comments ofcourse :giggle: I can probably build a more barebones machine that will fit my needs but I want to treat myself a little and splurge a little. Since I build machines roughly once a decade or little less and therefore keep them for many years.

So, I think I got a pretty good deal on the 10850k, at $389 And bought it. I want to try and do a pretty high end intel build, but I am not sure if it is possible given my situation. I have seen many reviews on this chip and I am aware that it runs hotter and needs good cooling.

Summary:

• I am going to be running it in a Fractal Design define r5 case. It has 1 x 140 mm case fan in the front of the case pulling the cool air in and 1 x 140mm case fan in the rear exhausting heat out the back. I can add 1 more 140mm case fan in the front if I need to. Thats about all the case cooling I can do, since I need to put this case in a tower enclosure in my desk(hopefully you know what I mean). The enclosure in my desk allows for the front and back of the case to be completely exposed. The top, bottom, and sides are blocked by the desk enclosure.
  • I plan on doing a Noctua nh-d15 air cooler. I don’t want to do an aio and definitely not a custom water loop.
  • given this cooling situation that I describe above, would I be able to run this chip at a proper temperature at stock settings without thermal throttling? Would I lose performance, even at stock speeds, due to the heat , making it pointless to run this chip?
  • If stock settings are going to be ok, can I overclock at all given my setup? Ideally I would like to overclock some taking the base clock speed of all cores from 3.6 stock to a max of 4.5. Possible given my setup? If not how much oc is possible?
  • If even stock cooling is not possible properly and this whole deal is not possible, then does it make sense to fall back to a 3900x? I hear this runs significantly cooler at stock and is very comparable to a 10850k.
  • i dont know the exact gpu I am running. Probably anything from a 1660 super to a max of a 2060 super. 1 gpu.
  • my first preference would be to do an intel build but if that is not really realistic, then I would like to cancel my order as soon as possible.
Please help! Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
I ended up having to buy a new case and fans tonight, online order. But I think the double heatsink will work really well. I was looking at them earlier in fact. I have a small heatsink/fan that idles at 40 due to twerking the MHz lower, prior I had a deepcool gammix that didn't fit but kept things 10 degrees cooler. So a double heatsink will be even more lower. My stress tests put me at 100 degrees with my tiny heatsink that was the only one to fit my current case, I'll try the windflow next, but I am prepared to get a double heatsink like you. I have a feeling it's the only thing that will work. Some others use AIO plus fans but I'm just not into them, but iirc they work too. Sorry so sloppy, on my phone.

Oh and you will def...

Lutfij

Titan
I'd advise on getting AMD and call it a day, you will also have better thermals, not need to worry about aftermarket cooling(for a while) until you go for an aftermarket cooler. Why are you pairing an entry level gaming GPU with a high end mainstream processor? I wouldn't look at a GTX1660 on any given day, RTX 2060 or above or nothing :)

Might want to list all your parts you've chosen thus far so we can get some semblance of your direction. You also need to mention the tasks you're going to perform on the platform so the answer is better tailored.

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
I'd advise on getting AMD and call it a day, you will also have better thermals, not need to worry about aftermarket cooling(for a while) until you go for an aftermarket cooler. Why are you pairing an entry level gaming GPU with a high end mainstream processor? I wouldn't look at a GTX1660 on any given day, RTX 2060 or above or nothing :)

Might want to list all your parts you've chosen thus far so we can get some semblance of your direction. You also need to mention the tasks you're going to perform on the platform so the answer is better tailored.

I would like to go with an intel system if possible. Can I ask why you say go with Amd? Is my cooling not going to be adequate enough given my description of my case and environment and type of cooler? I am paring with that gpu since I don’t plan on doing much gaming, just older titles and some retro gaming. I really don’t want to spend a ton on a gpu right now. If I get more into gaming later, then I can upgrade. I am willing to stretch my budget a bit and am flexible but I just don’t think it is something I want to spend a ton for at this time. I like to build a little more power than I need so it will last me a while. I have always done this and it worked out well.

My proposed build:
  • CPU = 10850k or 3900x
  • CPU cooling = Noctua nh-d15(if 10850k for sure) or better? For the 3900x I will use the wraith prism for a start. If that starts to give me problem then I would look for an after market cooler.
  • MOBO = not sure yet. Something good in the $200 to $300 range. X570 or z490.
  • boot drive = wd sn750 1tb nvme pcie
  • psu = seasonic gx-850
  • case = fractal design define r5
  • gpu = 1660 super or 2060. If I need something more powerful, I will give it some thought. Not saying no. Kind of want to settle on the cpu and mobo for now.
  • memory = 32 gb ddr4 3600
  • os = windows 10 pro
  • monitor = 32” 4k 60hz
My uses:
  • Office work; word, pp, excel, outlook
  • several browser tabs
  • watching youtube videos
  • visual studio .net programing and compiling. This app has grown large and can take some resources. Other web programming outside of .net.
  • Running an instance of sql server using ssms. Also possibly running an instance of Oracle.
  • running a linux install in VM
  • Encoding of my music from cd to flac, mp3 etc
  • Retro gaming of older titles from Blizzard, some modern rpg games, overwatch. Maybe room to grow of my gaming needs?

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
I'm just a forum reader, but I'll give this a shot: the i9 10850k is a money sink for cooling components, also it makes for a lot of questions on the forum because it comes out of the box turbo-boosted. The AMD has a stock cooler that apparently works well and their prize cpu has temporarily won the battle of firepower over Intel. If you save money on cooler(s) you can apply it towards a gpu. I mean, that makes the most sense.

However, personally I agree with you. And not just because I bought the 10850k and have the radeon equivalent of the 1650. I typed a bunch of stuff out but it doesn't matter, it's all preferences and budget.

Although sometimes I do wish I'd gone with the i7 10700 instead for cooling sake but iirc the price on that was actually higher, and I needed new cooling components anyway. And the 10850k is going to last forever.

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
I'm just a forum reader, but I'll give this a shot: the i9 10850k is a money sink for cooling components, also it makes for a lot of questions on the forum because it comes out of the box turbo-boosted. The AMD has a stock cooler that apparently works well and their prize cpu has temporarily won the battle of firepower over Intel. If you save money on cooler(s) you can apply it towards a gpu. I mean, that makes the most sense.

However, personally I agree with you. And not just because I bought the 10850k and have the radeon equivalent of the 1650. I typed a bunch of stuff out but it doesn't matter, it's all preferences and budget.

Although sometimes I do wish I'd gone with the i7 10700 instead for cooling sake but iirc the price on that was actually higher, and I needed new cooling components anyway. And the 10850k is going to last forever.

Thanks for your response. I am not a fanboy of either brand, as I have built both amd and intel systems in the past and they both worked great. I am just kind of leaning more toward intel now for the stability, maturity, ability to work with several manufacturers of memory without issues, etc. This is going to be a Production daily workstation use build mainly and I need it to be solid and headache free. If I do the intel chip, that is it, I wont upgrade it in the future, even if I can.

What type of cooling do you have for your 10850k? How is it working out for you? What do you think about my cooling setup given my limitations, will it work well or not so much? I just don't want to spend the money on the intel expecting to get great performance, and it throttling or not giving me the optimumn experience due to the limitations on my cooling. That would be a waste and no reason to get the chip in that case, regardless of the positives. i have seen some you tube videos on cooling for this chip from linus and techndeals. They say the air cooling I am propsing will work, b ut will I get full performance at none oc, stock settings?

Viorala

Reputable
May 20, 2019
I ended up having to buy a new case and fans tonight, online order. But I think the double heatsink will work really well. I was looking at them earlier in fact. I have a small heatsink/fan that idles at 40 due to twerking the MHz lower, prior I had a deepcool gammix that didn't fit but kept things 10 degrees cooler. So a double heatsink will be even more lower. My stress tests put me at 100 degrees with my tiny heatsink that was the only one to fit my current case, I'll try the windflow next, but I am prepared to get a double heatsink like you. I have a feeling it's the only thing that will work. Some others use AIO plus fans but I'm just not into them, but iirc they work too. Sorry so sloppy, on my phone.

Oh and you will def get full performance without oc. You can look through my comment history, there
are a few discussions about the 10850k.

Solution

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020

Oh and you will def get full performance without oc. You can look through my comment history, there
are a few discussions about the 10850k.

Well, I decided that I will go with the 3900x as my final decision. I did a ton of research that led me to my choice. I wanted to do the intel system, but I don't think that would work out well in my situation. Bottom line the 10850k pulls a lot of power and gets hot and thus needs a really good cooling solution. A really good air cooler would do ok, but it looks like a big 360 mm aio would be best. I have seen some reviewers get ok to decent temps on air and others getting high temps. I don’t want to change my case and my case is in a desk, as mentioned above. This limits my cooling options. I don’t want to invest in a cpu and mobo and then not be able to use them. Not to mention that I think a 360 mm aio with 3 fans would get loud and I like my quite computing.

overall the 2 cpus are pretty comparable performance wise, with each having strenghts and weaknesses over each other. However, it Looks like the 3900 stays a good bit cooler than the intel even with the stock cooler. If I need to get my temps down a bit more, then I can do an aftermarket air cooler. So. Normally I am not worried about power draw or cooling but in this case that seems to be my limiting factor(not money), so I think it makes sense for me to go amd.

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
Sounds good. It's great that you did research and figured out what was right for you.

yeah, thanks. The worse thing that could happen to me is a system that is unusable or one that I am constantly paranoid that will overheat. I would have wasted a lot of money then. For example, I have an old laptop right now that gets super hot even though the fans ram up to full speed. I am always worried to do anything the least bit intensive that jacks up the temps On this laptop. It had a pretty powerful cpu for its day, but what is the point if I cant really take advantage of it? I don’t want to be in the same boat with this build. Hope it makes sense.

Reactions: Viorala