[SOLVED] Is the 1700 still worth it today?

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
I can get it by trading in my it 7600 with its mobo.

I already have an AM4 mobo, an ASUS TUF with B450 chipset.

Is it worth it? I was looking forward to get a 2600 as soon as I sell this 7600.

Mainly gaming, but I also appreciate the headroom left for multitasking.

RAM: 16gb@2400 Mhz (3200 mhz soon hopefully)
PSU: Corsair RM550x

Solution
According to where you are on the "need" for this. It's REALLY close to release of the Ryzen 2 3xxx series. It will likely be a couple months yet before widespread availability and certainly a while before we see any meaningful price break.
You should be able to get a Ryzen 7 1700 for ~160 and likely a little less. Single core it isn't going to perform as well as your current i5. Of course on multi thread applications it won't even be a close comparison.
The cooler you list should be good for a decent overclock of the 1700, and they shine just fine ~3.7ghz plus.

My personal thoughts would be to wait and put the 160 towards the new proc when it comes out. The only other aspect that may be of concern is the ability to use the new...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
According to where you are on the "need" for this. It's REALLY close to release of the Ryzen 2 3xxx series. It will likely be a couple months yet before widespread availability and certainly a while before we see any meaningful price break.
You should be able to get a Ryzen 7 1700 for ~160 and likely a little less. Single core it isn't going to perform as well as your current i5. Of course on multi thread applications it won't even be a close comparison.
The cooler you list should be good for a decent overclock of the 1700, and they shine just fine ~3.7ghz plus.

My personal thoughts would be to wait and put the 160 towards the new proc when it comes out. The only other aspect that may be of concern is the ability to use the new generation on the current chipset without a BIOS update.
On the other hand, once they do release the 2xxx chips should drop in price a bit.

Solution

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
There's a lot of yt video's on why the 1700 is still a good buy.Personally i won't trade your pc for one cept if you do a lot of threaded work that can use the extra threads.If you buy new then a 1700 is well worth it as the prices are at an all time low and may even drop further.Here i think they are lower price than my ryzen 5 2600.

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
The problem with my i5 is that it gets up to 100% in games like Forza Horizon, AC Unity and so on... and that's a problem while I am using Discord, people stop hearing me for a good period. If I want to talk to them I have to pause or alt-tab the game..