[SOLVED] Is the 2060 enough for 144hz 1080p stream?

Jirehboy

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Hi!

I'm on the verge of upgrading my GTX 1060 and I'm looking for some options.

Currently considering the ZOTAC RTX 2060 amp! https://www.newegg.com/global/ph-en/zotac-geforce-rtx-2060-zt-t20600d-10m/p/N82E16814500457
or MSI RTX 2060 super ventus OC https://www.newegg.com/global/ph-en...er-rtx-2060-super-ventus-oc/p/N82E16814137437

Now I know many of you will just tell me to get the super, but bear with me here.

I mainly game rainbow six siege at 144hz with the AA turned down because if I crank up AA my frames become unstable. I also stream regularly. I downscale my stream from 1080p to 720p with bilinear scaling which makes the stream kinda blurry.

I really don't care about all the eye candy (ULTRA SETTINGS and whatnot). I use competitive settings anyway in R6. I just want stable frames while streaming at a decent quality.

Having said all that, will the RTX 2060 be enough to achieve stable 144fps in R6 with FXAA while streaming 1080p with decent OBS settings? Or do I need to go with the SUPER variant?

I am of course looking to upgrade while not overspending at the same time. So I would appreciate some first hand advice out there.

Thanks in advance guys!

Cheers!

EDIT: I'm also looking at NAVI but it is yet to come out here in the Philippines. I am however reluctant to get it even if it is more powerful as I am looking to take advantage of the new NVENC encodinng in OBS.

Last edited:
Solution
At 1080p, on a single monitor? It should be plenty. Consider, the 2060 is on par with the 1070 and plenty of people were using that for high end competitive 1080p streaming last gen.

The Super really isn't that much more though, and puts you pretty much in 2070 territory. I just ordered one myself, the 2060 Super XC Ultra gaming because there was only about an 80 dollar difference between that and the regular XC Ultra gaming.

If you can scrape together the extra cash, it's probably well worth it especially if you plan to stream via GPU rather than CPU.
At 1080p, on a single monitor? It should be plenty. Consider, the 2060 is on par with the 1070 and plenty of people were using that for high end competitive 1080p streaming last gen.

The Super really isn't that much more though, and puts you pretty much in 2070 territory. I just ordered one myself, the 2060 Super XC Ultra gaming because there was only about an 80 dollar difference between that and the regular XC Ultra gaming.

If you can scrape together the extra cash, it's probably well worth it especially if you plan to stream via GPU rather than CPU.

Solution

Jirehboy

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015

I have 2 monitors, the other one is just for browser stuff, obs while I'm streaming, etc. The super will cost me about $100 more than the non super variant.

I guess I can shell out the extra bucks, but if not necessary I would prefer just to save it.

And yes I plan on streaming via GPU NEW NVENC.

So I guess the question is whether the extra $100 is worth it.

Jirehboy

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
I think just the extra 2GB of VRAM alone will be beneficial using NVENC streaming.

What do the rest of your hardware specs look like?

Kinda old I guess. I have a 4790 with 16gb of 1866 RAM. Although I plan on upgrading those as well maybe in the future, my current focus is on the GPU since I will be using NVENC anyways.

I need to point out that my current setup with the 1060 although barely, gets the job done. With TAA in game (which is kinda blurry) and downscaling my stream to 720p with bilinear scaling, I still get 144fps stable consistently. I just want to upgrade so I can finally game without the disadvantage of a blurry game while streaming at a decent quality.

Then in my opinion, if you are getting the consistent FPS you need now, and it's not a quality settings issue, I'd just stick with the standard model as it will definitely improve your performance considerably. I would then think about putting the other hundred dollars towards a better monitor because USUALLY the kinds of issues you're describing, with blurriness and such, are from poor response times and monitor related characteristics.

What is the model of the monitor you are gaming on? This might not even be a card related problem at all unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by blurry.

Jirehboy

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Then in my opinion, if you are getting the consistent FPS you need now, and it's not a quality settings issue, I'd just stick with the standard model as it will definitely improve your performance considerably. I would then think about putting the other hundred dollars towards a better monitor because USUALLY the kinds of issues you're describing, with blurriness and such, are from poor response times and monitor related characteristics.

What is the model of the monitor you are gaming on? This might not even be a card related problem at all unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by blurry.

I have a BENQ xl2411 144hz 24" monitor. Not sure how I can describe "blurry" but if you haven't played Rainbow Six Siege yet, basically the Temporal AA in game is not that good compared to FXAA or AA off. Temporal AA is much more gentle on the GPU but it just looks blurry most of the time.

Ok, I see what you you're talking about. That's a tough call really. I guess it really comes down to how sure do you want to be that you'll be ok to run with those settings on? Probably you'll be good with the regular 2060 as it's significantly more capable than the 1060, but for me I'd rather spend an extra hundred bucks now and be able to extend my expectation of not needing to upgrade again by maybe another two years if you decide to play something that puts you back in the same position again a year from now. Guess I can't really tell you with any certainty that one or the other is going to eliminate that issue but obviously the safer bet would be the Super. Understandably, finances might be the deciding factor though.

Jirehboy

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Ok, I see what you you're talking about. That's a tough call really. I guess it really comes down to how sure do you want to be that you'll be ok to run with those settings on? Probably you'll be good with the regular 2060 as it's significantly more capable than the 1060, but for me I'd rather spend an extra hundred bucks now and be able to extend my expectation of not needing to upgrade again by maybe another two years if you decide to play something that puts you back in the same position again a year from now. Guess I can't really tell you with any certainty that one or the other is going to eliminate that issue but obviously the safer bet would be the Super. Understandably, finances might be the deciding factor though.

I was thinking the same too. I am waiting for stocks to arrive so I can finally get the SUPER version. Thing is though, I was doing some tests earlier, gaming Rainbow Six with competitive settings on while streaming, and I got a bit of a mixed bag. Both CPU and GPU usage were fluctuating max usage. Now I'm really confused what to upgrade. LOL! :) That damn game and it's poor optimization.

Game optimization can definitely be major issue, and it's one that isn't easily defined by whether the CPU or graphics card is the source of the issue. The only way to really overcome, in most cases anyhow, poor optimization is through brute force by having the most capable components you can throw at the game. What happens when you enable those settings that reduce or remove the blurriness compared to when you use Temporal AA?

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Jirehboy

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Game optimization can definitely be major issue, and it's one that isn't easily defined by whether the CPU or graphics card is the source of the issue. The only way to really overcome, in most cases anyhow, poor optimization is through brute force by having the most capable components you can throw at the game. What happens when you enable those settings that reduce or remove the blurriness compared to when you use Temporal AA?

I think what I am experiencing right now is the infamous 100% cpu bug in game that has been going on for years now. So I think I''l stick with the SUPER but definitely will need to upgrade my cpu (maybe a ryzen 3600 or 3700) asap too.

Have you considered simply overclocking your CPU for now, until you can upgrade the platform. Since you'll need a new CPU, motherboard AND memory to upgrade, that's going to be a bit of a hit to your wallet. That might not be an issue, but then again, you might need some time to gather your budget for that.

If you have a decent enough motherboard and cooler, then you could at least gain SOME measure of performance gain by giving those 8 threads a little more oomph. Unless of course you're already sitting on an overclock.

Jirehboy

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Have you considered simply overclocking your CPU for now, until you can upgrade the platform. Since you'll need a new CPU, motherboard AND memory to upgrade, that's going to be a bit of a hit to your wallet. That might not be an issue, but then again, you might need some time to gather your budget for that.

If you have a decent enough motherboard and cooler, then you could at least gain SOME measure of performance gain by giving those 8 threads a little more oomph. Unless of course you're already sitting on an overclock.

I have considered that. But I haven't tried overclocking a NON K CPU. I can do some research on how to do that though.

Jirehboy

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
That's my bad. I thought you had a 4790k. With a non-K SKU/CPU, it's not worth the time or effort, at all.

A platform upgrade is probably a good idea if that CPU is not pulling it's weight. Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah I'll be getting the super in a week or so, then ryzen 2700 or 3700 next year. thanks for the advice! :)