Question Is the 2080 Super worth the upgrade?

Bubbabigsexy

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2014
I currently have two GTX 980ti's in sli. I still get really good frame rates in almost every game. When I compare the frame rates to the 2080 Super benchmarks I see on the internet, there's not much of a difference.

I also have a BenQ EX3203R 144HZ monitor, which is absolutely gorgeous. I'm really enjoying it and have no plans to upgrade to 4k anytime soon. I'm very happy at 2k/144hz. My question is this: My 980ti's are 5 years old now. I do have them overclocked. I think the 2080ti is overkill and honestly, just way too expensive for my 2k gaming. I'm worried that my gpus will die or give out soon, since they are 5 years old. I do have them water cooled, so heat isn't an issue. It's more about wear and tear.

Is a 2080 Super worth the upgrade or should I wait until the next round of Nvidia cards to come out? My 980ti's are overclocked about 25%. I really don't want to have them die on me.

What do y'all think? Am I risking it, or do you think I'll be okay?

Is a 2080 Super worth the upgrade or should I wait until the next round of Nvidia cards to come out?

Next-gen NV GPUs aren't going to come out soon. Most probably next year, so you need to WAIT, if you plan to upgrade your GPU. ELSE, you can buy the RTX 2080 SUPER right now, if you have the budget.

The next-gen Nvidia GPUs should feature a new/refined architecture, AMPERE that is. I think even the RTX 2070 SUPER might suit your needs.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Nobody can predict if/when your 980TI's will fail. They will at somepoint, potentially influenced by a healthy OC, but they will on their own anyway. The 5 year mark wouldn't be where I start to worry though, assuming everything else is in check.

However, comparing benchmarks, you're seeing the 2080S perform similarly to your SLI 980TIs?
A 980TI at stock is roughly on par with a 1070, and SLI 1070's (when the scaling was good) were rivaling (or bettering) a 1080TI. Howevever, a 1080TI = 2080 in performance (+/- a few %).

I can only assume you play titles that scale very, very well with SLI? If so, then the gain is likely to be minimal - although things like microstutter and power draw would be improved.
If you're not playing titles that scale well, or at all, then even a 2070 Super would be a good upgrade.

A single GPU is much less of a headache, but I'm sure you already know that.

Bubbabigsexy

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2014
Nobody can predict if/when your 980TI's will fail. They will at somepoint, potentially influenced by a healthy OC, but they will on their own anyway. The 5 year mark wouldn't be where I start to worry though, assuming everything else is in check.

However, comparing benchmarks, you're seeing the 2080S perform similarly to your SLI 980TIs?
A 980TI at stock is roughly on par with a 1070, and SLI 1070's (when the scaling was good) were rivaling (or bettering) a 1080TI. Howevever, a 1080TI = 2080 in performance (+/- a few %).

I can only assume you play titles that scale very, very well with SLI? If so, then the gain is likely to be minimal - although things like microstutter and power draw would be improved.
If you're not playing titles that scale well, or at all, then even a 2070 Super would be a good upgrade.

A single GPU is much less of a headache, but I'm sure you already know that.

Yes. Everything else in the computer is new or upgraded. I didn't update the gpus because they are still giving me such good frame rates. Other than the Assassin's Creeds games, the majority of my games are all getting excellent numbers and most games are on the highest settings.

I have no problems waiting a year. I just don't want my cards to die on me on me while waiting. I work online and if they were to die, it would take some time to get the new one, with a new water block, and install it.

However, I googled the release date of the 980ti's and it said June 2015, so technically, they are only 4 years old. Maybe that's a good thing and they should last for another year or so?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
There's simply no way to say for sure.

Luckily, the chances of both GPUs failing at the same time are extremely unlikely in a controlled environment (so not accounting for leaks etc).
With that, if one starts to go - you could look to replace them at that time.