[SOLVED] Is the 2080ti a good used pickup

Rockyb11

Reputable
Feb 15, 2016
Hello all,
I just recently upgraded my computer about 2 months ago and it included a GPU upgrade to the 2070 Super (EVGA XC Ultra) and its been great so far. Today I just bought a new 1440p 144hz IPS panel (LG27GL850) to really make use of the card
Going through marketplace today I found a 2080ti blower out of an alienware aurora for $700
Now I know blowers suck but there are a lot of cooling options out there to solve it like:
https://www.newegg.com/arctic-cooli...ihhpvFYnRueAlqffcghoCzYsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
and
https://www.newegg.com/nzxt-rl-krg12-b1-gpu-mounting-kit/p/N82E16835146062?Description=nzxt gpu&cm_re=nzxt_gpu--35-146-062--Product&quicklink=true

Cheapest I would only be less than $800 into this card
So is it worth it?
I know 3000 series are coming soon but only the top cards and just founders cards
The new 3080ti/3090 will no doubt be $1700 as well which is way too much
Let me know what the thoughts are
Thanks

Solution
'Worth it' is up to you alone. We've all got different values on what's 'worth it'.

What I can tell you though, is that the first custom cooler actually isn't that great. Up to 300w, and the Alienware card can do 280w.

Kraken G12 kit will require you to purchase(separately) an Asetek-made AIO/CLC, and some thermal pads + heatsinks for the VRM and memory.

Another option may be Alphacool. They've got a cooler compatibility finder: https://www.hwconfig.com/waterblock-finder

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
'Worth it' is up to you alone. We've all got different values on what's 'worth it'.

What I can tell you though, is that the first custom cooler actually isn't that great. Up to 300w, and the Alienware card can do 280w.

Kraken G12 kit will require you to purchase(separately) an Asetek-made AIO/CLC, and some thermal pads + heatsinks for the VRM and memory.

Another option may be Alphacool. They've got a cooler compatibility finder: https://www.hwconfig.com/waterblock-finder

Solution
Personally I’d wait for 3000 series. As already stated the 3080 is rumoured to outperform the 2080Ti in non Ray Tracing games and be a huge step up in Ray Tracing games. Now it’s all speculation but NVidia’s email about their event on the 1st of September states “celebrating the biggest breakthroughs in PC Gaming since 1999” Now that’s a bold claim which hopefully they have some basis for. NVidia will be aware AMD are also rumoured to have a significant improvement with their RDNA2 which shouldn’t be too far behind in releasing. As you already have a decent card I’d wait and see how the next few months plays out before considering a new gpu.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The 1080ti was $799 MSRP
The 2080ti was $1299 MSRP
I am safely and rightfully assuming another $300-400 increase in price for the 3080ti(or 3090), seems to be the norm for NVIDIA

Just because there are two points doesn't mean you can draw a line.

The 1080 Ti was $699, the 980 Ti was $649, the 780 Ti was $699, the 690 was $1000, the 590 was $699. and so on.

Now, it could be $400 more than the 2080 Ti at release, but you don't actually know that; you're simply extrapolating based off a very limited sample size of two.

Rockyb11

Reputable
Feb 15, 2016
Just because there are two points doesn't mean you can draw a line.

The 1080 Ti was $699, the 980 Ti was $649, the 780 Ti was $699, the 690 was $1000, the 590 was $699. and so on.

Now, it could be $400 more than the 2080 Ti at release, but you don't actually know that; you're simply extrapolating based off a very limited sample size of two.
Fair, but considering no matter what price they put on their products and they still go out of stock in hours, I'd give it fair odds of another increase. Only things to stop this our Intel gpus rumored soon and that big navi deal from AMD.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Fair, but considering no matter what price they put on their products and they still go out of stock in hours, I'd give it fair odds of another increase. Only things to stop this our Intel gpus rumored soon and that big navi deal from AMD.

While this is possible, you need to be very careful at labeling rumors and speculation. Is there really "no doubt" that a 3080 Ti will be $1700? You don't want people to read something and get the idea that speculation is formed from actual information.

One good thing about used is that they will generally sell at a fair price/performance point.

Actually, I love blower coolers. They do not look fancy, but they do the job.
They get gpu heat directly out the back of the lace, lessening the need for advanced case cooling.

I use a GTX1080ti blower in a small case, and never hear it.
Heat is not an issue.

Nobody knows price/performance/availability of the upcoming 3000 series cards.
You can be certain that the 3090 or whatever the top dog is will be expensive and hard to find.
Such a card will be sold at price gouging premiums to early adopters.

Unless you have unlimited budget, you are probably better off buying a good jump over your current card now.

Rockyb11

Reputable
Feb 15, 2016
Also 1080ti prices are terrible. Greedy people on ebay are making people pay $200 over what they are worth but people don't know what they are paying for so they buy it anyhow. Just sad :(

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
1080 Tis are going used from $450-$600. New 2080 Supers are going from $650-$800. That's a fairly typical discount for a used item compared to a similar performing new one. 1080 Ti vs. 2070 Super comes down to whether someone wants to take the used risk for the 10-20% bonus.