[SOLVED] Is the 4133 Mhz RAM fine for r5 3600

Dec 9, 2019
Hello everyone,

I would like to ask you, whether I am making a good choice. A friend of mine told me, that I should buy RAM which is reaching limit of the MOBO. I am building ryzen 3600, must probably on the Tomahawk B450 MAX, there is limit of ram 4133 Mhz.

I am wondering about Patriot Viper RGB 2x8 gb, 4133 Mhz.

Thank you for your opinion.

Solution
That is far more than plenty good. If anything the average RAM speed people get is 3200MHz because the kit you found is the same price as a 3200MHz 32GB (16x2) kit. So essentially you are paying double the price for the speed of ram you really need.

I recommend either going for a 3200MHz or 3600MHz kit because you save more money and can either get a bigger kit size or put the money into other computer components. Besides, the difference in FPS between 3200 and 4133MHz isn't that great. Especially for the price they're charging it at.
That is far more than plenty good. If anything the average RAM speed people get is 3200MHz because the kit you found is the same price as a 3200MHz 32GB (16x2) kit. So essentially you are paying double the price for the speed of ram you really need.

I recommend either going for a 3200MHz or 3600MHz kit because you save more money and can either get a bigger kit size or put the money into other computer components. Besides, the difference in FPS between 3200 and 4133MHz isn't that great. Especially for the price they're charging it at.

Solution
A lot of people are also struggeling to reach such high frequencies eventhough the RAM is rated for that speed. It often takes a lot of tweaking and trial and error to reach maximum frequency, if possible at all. Just because the RAM is rated at that maximum frequency, it doesn't always mean they are guaranteed to reach rated frequency on all builds.

EDIT: I'm not saying it's impossible, but it depends on a lot of different factors, so be prepared that you might need to put a lot of work into it, with very high frequency RAM.

Remember, it's important to check the Qualified Vendors List for compatible RAM for the specific motherboard you end up buying.

Last edited:
Reactions: namsary
Dec 9, 2019

Well, what you are saying makes sense to me.... I was thinking the same, but I was confused a bit

PATRIOT Viper RGB Black 2x8 GB 3200 Mhz - 90 €

PATRIOT Viper RGB Black 2x8GB DDR4 3600 MHz CL17 - 96 €

Patriot Viper RGB 2x8GB, 4133MHz, DDR4 - 126 €

I can take 3600 kit, with still nice speed for r5 3600, add some money and get
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE or ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS for more "futureproof build" right?

Well, what you are saying makes sense to me.... I was thinking the same, but I was confused a bit

PATRIOT Viper RGB Black 2x8 GB 3200 Mhz - 90 €

PATRIOT Viper RGB Black 2x8GB DDR4 3600 MHz CL17 - 96 €

Patriot Viper RGB 2x8GB, 4133MHz, DDR4 - 126 €

I can take 3600 kit, with still nice speed for r5 3600, add some money and get
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE or ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS for more "futureproof build" right?

Yeah that works nicely, the 3600MHz is the sweetspot for ryzen anyway as stated by AMD themselves. As for the motherboard, those two boards are equally fine. Go for whichever has the features you want (M.2 slots, sata ports, heatsinks, design, etc).