Is the 8th-gen i7-8550U sufficient for music production?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2018
For music production, is the i7-8550U's base clock speed of 1.8GHz made up for by having a 4.0GHz turbo speed, 8MB cache, and 8 threads capability? Can it handle most music production software and demands?

I've been searching everywhere and not a found proper answer to this. For me, the advantage is that it can be found in slim, lightweight laptops that don't create a lot of fan noise.

Solution
i wouldn't think so. the meaning of I7 in laptops is not the same as it is in the desktop would. a mobile I7 GPU is just a higher clocked I5. but the performance is crippled because it is a low powered CPU hense the U designation. you will will rarely find a good performing CPU in a thin laptop like an ultrabook because of it being thin it needs a CPU that will not generate a lot of heat and power

schaft

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
well, I did not use laptop much. As far as I know, the "U" means its was build for special purpose, in this case is for laptop. Its super low watt, means it meant to save battery, so do not expect it doing fast heavy crunching.

Looking at the bright sight, it has 4 core and 8 threads, as a i7 should have. If your software can utilize the threads, it would help big time. And if it can only use 1 thread, then you could only hope the 4GHz turbo mode will work. Turbo mode usually only 1 core, the other core cannot do turbo.

i wouldn't think so. the meaning of I7 in laptops is not the same as it is in the desktop would. a mobile I7 GPU is just a higher clocked I5. but the performance is crippled because it is a low powered CPU hense the U designation. you will will rarely find a good performing CPU in a thin laptop like an ultrabook because of it being thin it needs a CPU that will not generate a lot of heat and power

Solution
Jun 14, 2018

I am using an i7-8550U 1.88Ghz lappy; it is not able to give me a real time performance with ezDrummer2 even after using ASIO, there is always that small delay between ip and op of the drum hits; whereas, my i3 hp pavillion dv6 laptop i bought in 2011, with 2.3 Ghz is able to give me latency low enough that i can play real time. By real time playing i mean, no or negligible difference in the time between input and output;
I use an USB to midi interface to hook up my DD65 yamaha eDrums with the ezDrummer2.

Status
Not open for further replies.