Is the 9590 worth its salt in 2018

DefectedSOul

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2014
I currently have a AMD fx 8320 I'm my system and I'm looking to make some cheap upgrades to boost its life
I have the 8320 over clocked to 4.2ghz and cooled with a hyper 212 Evo
I see the 9590 is only 125USD right now
Is it worth throwing in my system for the boost im looking for or is it a waste of my time
(only reason in it building a while new system is 1. Money and 2. My pc isn't slouching to much just looking to boost it a bit)

Solution
Not worth it, save your money and upgrade to Ryzen later down the road. Especially since you are already generally satisfied with performance. You will gain very little performance from this CPU, but pay the cost of huge power consumption and heat on the CPU side; the issue is so big that there are only a handful of motherboards which can fully support 9590 (technically, you can put it into any AM3+ board, but it can and will fry VRMs on it when it starts to work hard).
Not worth it, save your money and upgrade to Ryzen later down the road. Especially since you are already generally satisfied with performance. You will gain very little performance from this CPU, but pay the cost of huge power consumption and heat on the CPU side; the issue is so big that there are only a handful of motherboards which can fully support 9590 (technically, you can put it into any AM3+ board, but it can and will fry VRMs on it when it starts to work hard).

Solution
FX 9590 is nuclear reactor, and its overclocked variant of FX8000 and it has TDP of 220W soo of most opinions its not worth getting it.

If i may suggest, even 4th gen like i5-4000 series would have better perfomance than FX series, cheap motherboard+i5 and ram that you have with FX.