[SOLVED] Is the Acer Helios 300 decent? Also is the HDD I've picked compatible with the laptop?

UnatonedLizzy

Honorable
Mar 9, 2016
Hello, wonderful people at Tom's Hardware,

I've decided to buy a new laptop for work, and I found that the Acer Helios 300 serves my needs (spec-wise). I've had an Acer Nitro 5 for less than 2 years I believe, and it started acting up and I have a screen issue there so I feel a bit skeptical about purchasing another acer product.
I would love to hear any other suggestions in the price range of 1300 ~ 1800, that would last at least 3 years in good condition, but if you think that I shouldn't be concerned. it would be absolutely awesome if you could just take a look at the following 2 links and see if the HDD I've picked will be compatible with the laptop.

Laptop -> https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7-10750H-Keyboard-PH315-53-71HN/dp/B08VKV5WQ1/
HDD -> https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-Drive-2-5-Inch/dp/B07D99S8Z7

Solution

I've decided to buy a new laptop for work, and I found that the Acer Helios 300 serves my needs (spec-wise). I've had an Acer Nitro 5 for less than 2 years I believe, and it started acting up and I have a screen issue there so I feel a bit skeptical about purchasing another acer product.
I would love to hear any other suggestions in the price range of 1300 ~ 1800, that would last at least 3 years in good condition, but if you think that I shouldn't be concerned. it would be absolutely awesome if you could just take a look at the following 2 links and see if the HDD I've picked will be compatible with the laptop.

Laptop ->...
Acer is usually at the lowest price point for gaming laptops, but others are better in quality. Lenovo, Clevo, MSI are good. ASUS also but not the TUF line, those have had a lot of issues. As long as the laptop has a free 2.5 drive bay that drive is fine to use for storage. You can find out if the laptops have a fee drive bay from reading the specs or manual.

UnatonedLizzy

Honorable
Mar 9, 2016
Acer is usually at the lowest price point for gaming laptops, but others are better in quality. Lenovo, Clevo, MSI are good. ASUS also but not the TUF line, those have had a lot of issues. As long as the laptop has a free 2.5 drive bay that drive is fine to use for storage. You can find out if the laptops have a fee drive bay from reading the specs or manual.

I've heard this issue about build quality quite often, do you think that my chances will be better if I don't use the laptop directly, and instead connect a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to it? Maybe it will live longer? Have no issues?

I've heard this issue about build quality quite often, do you think that my chances will be better if I don't use the laptop directly, and instead connect a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to it? Maybe it will live longer? Have no issues?

You are still using the laptop, touching it or not. I mean it will save keyboard from wear and breaking but not the motherboard or other parts. If you are going to be doing that, why not just buy or build a desktop? And buy a cheap laptop for travel.

Aug 18, 2019

Laptop -> https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-i7-10750H-Keyboard-PH315-53-71HN/dp/B08VKV5WQ1/
HDD -> https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-Drive-2-5-Inch/dp/B07D99S8Z7

U Might want to consider the new Omen 15 or the Legion (Lenovo) there are several laptop that is budget friendly, but what I can recommend is to do a Review with the each Model, Number 1 that you need to look out for is the Thermals there are some gaming laptops temps are hovering around 85c to 90c so its really hot when under load such as gaming.

Take note though laptop are limited to upgrade, only SSD, RAM some other components such as battery can be upgraded.
if you manage to get one you can do a Liquid Metal mod on your CPU to drop down some temps if your lucky 20c some other YouTube reviewers were able to get that.
and Undervolting can really help temps and boost decent performance.

Mine is a 2nd hand MSI GS65 Stealth Thin i7 8750H and a GTX 1070 Max-Q 8gb still good and on par with RTX 2060 Max-Q/1660 Ti

But still why not build like Hang-the-9 said?

Try to Search Jarrod's Tech he's the best go to guy for Gaming Laptop Review YouTube.

Solution