Is the AMD A8-5600K dual core?

anthony_greene

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
I have an AMD A8-5600K clocked at 4.3ghz, so I'm thinking it's dual core. I have a GTX 950 in my machine so what would you recommend I upgrade to?

Solution

An Intel CPU would not fit in an AMD motherboard; you'd need a new board too.

AMD quad cores are arguably somewhat like Intel dual cores with hyperthreading, though it's a little different. I was surprised with Ian Cutress of Anandtech recently started referring to AMD "quads" as 2-core 4-thread CPUs. AMD CPUs have modules, which each have two "cores" in them, which share resources. When both cores are active, they compete for resources and thus are not as fast as two cores that don't have to share resources. Hyperthreading, by contrast, runs a second...

rgd1101

Don't

no. wrong brand, wrong socket. Might do what Ecky said if your system have a dGPU

An Intel CPU would not fit in an AMD motherboard; you'd need a new board too.

AMD quad cores are arguably somewhat like Intel dual cores with hyperthreading, though it's a little different. I was surprised with Ian Cutress of Anandtech recently started referring to AMD "quads" as 2-core 4-thread CPUs. AMD CPUs have modules, which each have two "cores" in them, which share resources. When both cores are active, they compete for resources and thus are not as fast as two cores that don't have to share resources. Hyperthreading, by contrast, runs a second thread on the same core, utilizing unused parts to get some extra throughput from it.

Solution